Constant 429 errors

Starting about a week ago, I’ve started to get 429 Too Many Requests errors whenever opening about every second or third page. I’m not spam-clicking anything. If I open dev tools, the error is “Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 429 (Too Many Requests)”. If I refresh the page, there’s a 50/50 chance it either gives me the same error again, or loads without issue.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Website

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc): Chrome

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: Happens to many pages – individual observations, taxon pages, profiles, the front page, etc.

Screenshots of what you are seeing

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: I open a page. It fails to load, giving me a Too Many Requests error. Um, that’s just kind of it.

presumably related to https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/too-many-requests-preventing-me-using-the-site/49153?

I’ve had the same thing happening to me recently sporadically

what is the whole message? the message should also contain the request URL that is failing, as shown here: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/searching-for-taxon-on-identify-stalls-out/4286/11.

are you getting the message on the same kind of request each time, or is it different each time?

are you going through iNaturalist.org or the Australian portal?

Nope, that’s the whole message.

Screenshot 2024-02-26 10.25.18

Same message each time, and through inaturalist.org.

go to the network monitor in the dev tools. can you see which item(s) are failing to load?

it looks like it’s the Observation page that the server is refusing the serve. i don’t see any problems from where i am (in the USA) though.

the only common thread between you and thebeachcomber and the other person who noted similar issues is that you all seem to be working out of Australia.

if you have access to a VPN, i wonder if you could get similar issues going through another country? (i’m not sure how that could make a difference, but who knows with these kinds of things?)

or actually, before you do that, can you try using a private browsing session, and see if you notice any issues that way? (that would rule out browser extensions causing issues, etc.)

1 Like

Interesting! I don’t have a VPN to test, but it does keep happening in private browsing.

hmmm… that’s probably the end of the troubleshooting that we can do from this end, and iNat staff will probably have to look into it. if you haven’t already, it might help to make a ticket over in the new HelpDesk, and that might attract iNat staff eyes faster.

1 Like

Will do, cheers!

1 Like

Is anyone else still encountering this issue? We had limited requests from a range of IP addresses to manage web crawler traffic, but we think it has been resolved.

If it does happen again, please mention the country from which you are trying to access the website. Thanks!

1 Like

Nope, that seems to have done the trick! Cheers.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 14 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.