Editing boundaries of a Place

I would like to make minor changes to a ‘Place’ polygon that I created for a Project in my neighbourhood. However, I can’t find a way to do this without creating a new ‘Place’ with the changed boundaries. That seems clunky. Is there a way to simply edit an existing polygon that I’ve created?

1 Like

https://www.inaturalist.org/places
–>
image search for your place
–>

–>
click the edit button, you can then drag the nodes to edit. Make sure you press ‘save’ to the right of that button, as well as save at the bottom.

3 Likes

It might take a little while for the new boundaries to be fully functional as places are quite taxing on iNat’s infrastructure.

1 Like

Thanks @thebeachcomber and @tiwane for replies. I was able to edit the place, but via a different route. None of my Places show up when searching in Find a Place search box. However, they do show up if I search in the general search box to the right of iNaturalist.ca in the header (see example). Then if I click on ‘About’ the system displays the information @thebeachcomber suggested and I can click on Edit Place. A quirk of iNaturalist.ca? Also, why do none of my Places show up when searching in the Find a place search box?

Looks like you did not give your places a parent place:

The search on iNat.ca’s places page only searches for places that have a parent of “Canada”, I believe. A parent place should be the smallest place that entirely encompasses your place (like a county, district, state, or province). For example, here is Algonquin Provincial Park’s place:

You can see its parent is Nipissing, Nipissing’s parent is Ontario, and so on. This puts a place in iNat’s places hierarchy. So if you edit your place and add a parent, it should start showing up in searches on iNat.ca’s places page. But I recommend using the header search for pretty much everything, for what it’s worth.

2 Likes

@tiwane thanks again for the quick reply and explanation. All fixed!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.