English tooltip translations missing

Platform: Website

Browsers: Chrome; Firefox

URL of relevant observation: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/166334408

Several of the annotation tooltips are broken. To reproduce an instance of the bug, perform the following steps:

Step 1: Browse: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/166334408

Step 2: Hover over the annotation “female”

Step 3: The tooltip will display as “[missing: “en-US.controlled_term_definitions.female” translation]”

Nine annotation tooltips are affected by this bug:

1. Life Stage: Adult
  2. Life Stage: Egg
  3. Life Stage: Juvenile
  4. Life Stage: Larva
  5. Life Stage: Nymph
  6. Life Stage: Pupa
  7. Life Stage: Subimago
  8. Sex: Female
  9. Sex: Male
1 Like

I can confirm for this observation in Chrome for female and egg on another. It seems to only be an issue once the annotation is entered. If the annotation isn’t entered, but in the dropdown, the tooltips display fine.

The tooltips before and after are different. Before the annotation is applied, the tooltip is merely the value of the annotation itself: “Flowering” is “Flowering”, “Fruiting” is “Fruiting”, and so forth. After the annotation is applied, the tooltip takes on a more explanatory value: “Flowering” becomes “Flowers visible, open, and still attached to the plant”, “Fruiting” becomes “Fruit visible and still attached to the plant”, and so forth. All of the annotations work this way, except for the broken ones.

I assume this behavior is intended (except for the broken ones). Once the bug is fixed, I plan to submit a feature request that suggests the “before” and “after” tooltips be synchronized (with the more explanatory value of course).

1 Like

CORRECTION! Nine annotation tooltips are affected by this bug:

8. Sex: Female
  9. Sex: Male

Curiously, Life Stage:Teneral is not affected.

@tiwane can you comment on this bug? TIA

Taking a look but I’ll need to discuss with our devs. I think there might be more than one bug here.

Thanks @tiwane!

Apparently the “before” and “after” tooltips have been synchronized. Thank you!

Tooltips for Sex:Female and Sex:Male have been added. Only the Life Stage tooltips remain.

There aren’t any definitions for those yet, so it’s not a technical problem at this point.

How are Antennaria dioica, Carex pulicaris & Carex davalliana treated in other languages? Can’t you use female or male for this?

Okay, but to a casual observer, it certainly looks like a technical problem. Couldn’t you do something like “No available definition for this annotation value”?

I’m not sure what you’re asking. Personally I don’t think Sex:Female and Sex:Male are appropriate for flowering plants (especially given the new definitions) but I think that’s a topic for another discussion thread.

UPDATE. Seven annotation values still have no definition:

SUGGESTION: Add the tooltip “No available definition” to each of the above annotation values and then close this bug report. Thanks!