Explore tab image gallery presentation

Recently I’ve been wondering about the presentation of species when browsing a family/genus

e.g.

It seems the single title taxon image visible when exploring a family is often insufficient to represent the species, particularly when there is pronounced sexual dimorphism. I wondered about having the ability to somehow have access to more thumbnails from this page ( e.g. with an arrow to scroll through… or a symbol to click so you can choose to view male or female …)… a way to easily see other examples without having to load a new tab.

But today I realised on the identify portal something like this already exists - when you hover over the observation - it splits into four :

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 01.36.37

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 01.36.48

Is this new?
(I hadn’t noticed before!)

And are there plans to implement something similar in the explore section of the browser as well?
(Personally I’d find it really useful - a lot more so than in the identify portal…as I never work with thumbnails there )

If it’s an active decision not to implement elsewhere, why is this?
:)

see https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/add-number-of-photos-to-thumbnails-on-identify-page/2907/19

2 Likes

Interesting…
Is it still using Angular or has it been reworked?

Fwiw, I disagree with this. I don’t find it annoyance in Identify. I don’t see why it would be an annoyance in Explore either.

1 Like

We should be aware that an obs has multiple photos.

There are often multiple species there too.

many years ago, there were plans to update the Explore page, but as far as I know, those plans are still on the backburner.

1 Like