"[extinct]" label overlaps scientific name and is clipped in Activity section of observation page on web

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform: Website

Browser: On macOS 12.3.1, I tried latest Safari, Firefox, and Chrome. The same problem appeared on each. I haven’t tried Windows, but I would expect the same problem there.

URLs: This can be seen on https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/449034 (and presumably also on any other observation of a now-extinct species, though maybe it depends on the length of the scientific name).

Screenshots of what you are seeing :

Description of problem: On any ID of a now-extinct species (or at least the one linked above), the text “[extinct]” is wrapped to a line below the scientific name. This last line is vertically placed such that the tops of the “[extinct]” characters overlap with the bottom of the characters in the scientific name, and also the bottoms of the “[extinct]” characters are clipped off.

Step 1: Visit https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/449034

Step 2: Look at any ID in the Activity list


Interestingly, it doesn’t seem to be the case for every language. It looks fine in Polish or German for instance.

1 Like

it looks the same as the report by @sullivanribbit on our Windows PC.

1 Like

Filed an issue here https://github.com/inaturalist/inaturalist/issues/3426


I’ve noticed this too but never got around to posting anything. Thanks for posting!

1 Like