Forum abruptly not responding on Chrome browser over the last 2 days

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Website - Windows 10 pro

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Chrome - updated version, but was happening on the previous one too

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://forum.inaturalist.org/

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Yesterday the forum abruptly stopped being responsive on Chrome. The cursor slides over links without changing to indicate that the links are clickable, and when I click on my profile I get the the blue box shown in the enclosed screenshot.

I disabled all my ad-blockers, anti-tracking, and anti-virus software and reloaded the site. Problem still there.

I updated Chrome thinking that may have been the issue and was able to click a link once before the forum reverted back to having the same issue.

I cleared the cache and cookies in Chrome. Again was able to click on a link once, then the problem reestablished itself.

Prior to yesterday the forum was working as normal on Chrome, but since yesterday I can’t navigate or interact with it on Chrome.

Works fine in Firefox.

Was something changed or updated in the forum over the last couple of days?

1 Like

Also on Chrome and I can see the Forum as usual.
Windows 10 (but not Pro for me - wading thru a LONG Windows update tho)

Hmm, I don’t see any updates by Discourse since August (although maybe I’m missing something). Working fine in Chrome on my Macbook. Can you open up Chrome’s console (View → Developer → Javascript Console), try to replicate those issues and send a screen shot that includes the console? It should record any errors on the page.

I fully cleared the cache again (had to re-login to all my accounts), the forum worked once, and immediately back to not working again.

Below is the Javascript console screenshot. Apparently something on the forum is violating a content security policy directive:

Refused to execute inline script because it violates the following Content Security Policy directive: “script-src https://forum.inaturalist.org/logs/ https://forum.inaturalist.org/sidekiq/ https://forum.inaturalist.org/mini-profiler-resources/ https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/business6/assets/ https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/business6/brotli_asset/ https://forum.inaturalist.org/extra-locales/ https://sea2.discourse-cdn.com/business6/highlight-js/ https://sea2.discourse-cdn.com/business6/javascripts/ https://sea2.discourse-cdn.com/business6/plugins/ https://sea2.discourse-cdn.com/business6/theme-javascripts/ https://sea2.discourse-cdn.com/business6/svg-sprite/ ‘sha256-rwfdvotzygqmkowfnaex564b66behoel4+grlgqughg=’”. Either the ‘unsafe-inline’ keyword, a hash (‘sha256-rwfDVOTzygQmkOwFNAeX564B66beHoel4+gRLgQUgHg=’), or a nonce (‘nonce-…’) is required to enable inline execution.

Works fine in Firefox, but the last two days the forum is entirely unusable in Chrome.

EDIT: one of the things it’s also doing now is not showing the side scrollbar.

i don’t think you should be seeing these kinds of errors unless you have some sort of extension in your browser or perhaps something more nefarious that is injecting code into your web pages. you said you disabled ad blockers, antivirus, etc., but i wonder if you have other extensions in Chrome that are still active? it’s possible that one of these may have been updated in the last few days and may need additional permissions from you or something like that.

1 Like

Some experimentation eventually pointed me to:
Adblocker for Chrome - NoAds
version: 3.2.0.23

This seems to have broken the forum interface. Has to be completely disabled at the base level to regain forum use, just disabling it for the specific site doesn’t work.

2 Likes

well, i’m glad you found the problem. i’m not sure which ad blocker you’re using, but i think it’s strange that it would be injecting code that would load unexpected stuff when you click around. (i think that situation is the only reason you would have encountered that kind error.) you may want to check to see if you have a legitimate ad blocker installed. sometimes there are ones created by less reputable parties that are made look like the ones from more reputable parties.

update: i did a little digging, and “Adblocker for Chrome - NoAds” may be associated with a known case of bad behavior among extension makers (see https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/adware-in-chrome-extensions/25668/). if yours is in fact one of the extensions involved in that case of bad behavior, i would be wary. even if it’s not doing anything particularly malicious, it just seems like kind of sketchy behavior for a maker of software that you really need to trust absolutely.

2 Likes

HURRAY!!! I had adblocker turned off for the site all the way to the base level of the site, but it still wasn’t working. Only when I completely deleted adblocker from the page did it start working. I’ve been without the forum for weeks and can now get back on!

1 Like

I use Privacy Badger. Works against ads, and I am on the Forum without problems.

1 Like

I use uBlock Origin in Firefox and have never had a problem with the forum.

1 Like