High CPU Usage on Desktop Website

ok bouteloua, you show me how i can compare all moth of the “Arctiinae” of the “Greater Antilles” (did exactly that last night), in one tab on the identify page … and i promise that I will make an exception and waist my time watching a internet video whos content could be written in 2 lines :D.

I’ll shoot you a private message. :)

1 Like

The internet needs more Cassus (plural of Cassi?) :)

6 Likes

I often have 10-20 tabs open or two separate browser windows side by side with multiple tabs in each. I don’t have any performance issues even though my computer ( on Windows 10) is almost 8+ years old and a low end one too. My primary browser is Opera which runs on the Chromium engine, just like Chrome does. There is a setting that might make a drastic performance improvement if you like having many tabs open - “delay loading of background tabs”. I’m not sure exactly how it works because when you open a tab in the background it does load… because it puts the page title on the tab bar. But, somehow it seems to make the browser handle all these open tabs just fine. It could just be an Opera thing too. I also use Firefox and Chrome, but not as my primary browser and not with a bunch of tabs open. I think a similar setting may be called “tab throttling” or something like that.

2 Likes

In general terms, I find that both Firefox and Chrome use a lot more resources than needed, due to their design. Neither seems good at clearing their caches. I use the Brave browser, which is also built off Chromium as my primary browser.

I haven’t noticed iNat using anymore resources than any other website, but I also probably have never had 10 tabs open at once for iNat. I suggest a different browser than Firefox.

2 Likes

I’m not an IT person by profession, but I do know that there are several reasons why a browser might be using a lot of resources, the first of which may be the browser itself: Chrome is notorious for using a lot of CPU. Try closing other open tabs while you’re on iNat to see if it makes a difference.

There is also a Chrome extension called One Tab, which reduces all open tab onto a single page (or tab). https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/onetab/chphlpgkkbolifaimnlloiipkdnihall?hl=en

1 Like

I use Safari on my MacBook Pro. I usually get the “This website is using significant memory” message every day after I’ve been using it a while and looking at big list of observations or doing a lot of searching with the map. For example, when I try to identify things for others and when I scroll thru my own observations (close to 1000) . It’s a pain but i usually find a good stopping point and close Safari and then relaunch it.

1 Like

Is this on the Identify page (https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify)? If so, do you get the error when you’re on the first few pages, or only when you are many pages “deep”?

1 Like

Can you please provide some URLs as examples here, @jbecky?

I notice iNat getting really slow when I am in the Identify tab too.

Here’s my ID URL that I have bookmarked.

The most notable part is that I show 100 observations per page! And that’s not the part where it gets slow. Once I’ve IDed 30 or so organisms, I might flip into another tab (not iNat) and do something else for a bit, and when I come back it is too slow. I hit “i” to identify something, and start typing in the ID box, and there is no dropdown. Or, there is a dropdown and I select something and hit enter, and then get the endless whirlies.

So I ask it to show me 100 results per page because I don’t like that “do you want more things to ID?” pop-up interruption, but unless I stay on that page IDing things (and sometimes even then), I have to reload the page anyway.

1 Like

your particular problem sounds like it could be related to https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/searching-for-taxon-on-identify-stalls-out/4286. when the problem occurs, open up your browser’s developer tools / console, and see if you are getting HTTP 429 errors.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.