How do I observe a species for a list?

I made a life list for birds of North America. But it says I observed 0 of them. Even though that is not true. I have no idea of how to fix it.

When I go to your “Dynamic Lifelist” and filter for “birds” and “North America” I get 32 species.
https://www.inaturalist.org/lifelists/animallover28?view=tree&tree_mode=full_taxonomy&taxon_id=3&place_id=97394
That doesn’t help you much though, I suppose. :-(

1 Like

I made a new list for the birds of North America. Although I never knew you could do that on the dynamic life list.

1 Like

Those life lists used to work the way you seem to expect, but when they put together the Dynamic Lifelist, they eliminated the “life list” functionality.

2 Likes

All lists outside the dynamic life list need to be manually udpated. For what it’s worth, when the “old” life lists were syncing with your observations, there were a lot of bugs and issues, so they hadn’t worked well in a long time.

4 Likes

That is sad. If you manually update it will it show how much species you observed of all?

1 Like

When I try to add a observation to the list, it doesn’t work.

2 Likes

Lists don’t list observations, they list taxa. So you’ll have to add taxa. Eg if you made a new observation of Exampleus exampelii, you’d have to add Exampleus exampelii to your list.

3 Likes

Okay.

1 Like

If you want to see a list of all taxa you’ve observed on iNat, I suggest using the Dynamic Life List. IMO the other lists are better used for more esoteric groupings that can’t be made via the tools in the Dynamic Life List (eg this list of mine).

6 Likes

That’s a surprisingly long list. I would be feeling a little victimized at this point!

4 Likes

Coincidentally I had this same question today. I have read this thread and I am not sure I understand. You are saying that grey “observed” bar in the stats section has no function (if so why don’t you just remove it?) and that there is no way to compare my list to my observations?

Are you basically telling assemble a new list using only taxa I have seen? I really cannot imagine why I would do that.

2 Likes

Here is what I wanted:

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?list_id=4401344&place_id=any&user_id=arboretum_amy

It is possible with search URLs.

1 Like

I think you have seen 34 off your list. Is this what you wanted?https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?list_id=4405024&place_id=any&user_id=animallover28

wow you made a long list!

1 Like

Yes I have seen 34 birds, but I wanted it to show on the gray observe bar in the list. But sadly that seems not possible anymore.

1 Like

Also wondering about this. I tried to make a list of Grasses of Dallas county as listed in a guide I have, with the goal of eventually checking them all off. But they won’t check off so it’s pretty useless except as a narrowed down field guide reference.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it works, but you might give it a try. It works on the place’s checklists so maybe…?

Find a bird you already observed in your list and click on the “Edit” below the bird’s name. It should open a new screen with the bird’s picture to the top left. Right below the picture and the copyright info it shows the counter of observations and the word refresh (? not sure, my interface is in german, but should be something alike). If you click it on a bird you already observed it should update the counter to 1 (or more) and adding info of when etc below.
When you now go back to your list’s overview (maybe refresh), the grey bar should have updated.

No, I was just clarifying that if someone wants to edit a manual list, they’d have to manually enter a taxon, not an observation. As I said later, I don’t think using a manual life list to list all taxa you’ve seen on iNat is worth it because the Dynamic Life List does that already.

Sadly I don’t have it, but thanks for trying.

Maybe I should be making collection projects instead of lists. Set the project perimeters to the desired taxa, set myself as the only observer…

1 Like