How to get Lists to update

[Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.]

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): website

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About):

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Microsoft Edge

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: Your lists · iNaturalist

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: Lists are not current but I thought when they were created years ago that they were all “dynamic lists” that update automatically

Step 2: How do I get them to update?

Step 3:

No list other than old life list would update, old life list is buggy and is not likely to get all your species (that’s why there’s a new one). All your other lists are not linked to any place in the system, they’re strictly manually changed.

this may be worth reading: https://www.inaturalist.org/blog/43337-upcoming-changes-to-lists.

(Moved this out of the Bug Reports category since it is more of a question.)

Which leaves the question: why is there still the old one?

Some people update them I guess, maybe for new users it shouldn’t be a default setting, I spent time a lot on it before the new one arrived, now it’s easier to make a list for things with no records and everything else is done through the new list.

so it sounds like it isn’t a bug, just that that functionality was deleted from the site even though the lists still exist? So what is a link to, or description of, how I create my own life lists again?
For example, I want a life list for my research site (The Royal Hills farm), and I keep lists of various families such as Leps or Bees of Louisiana, or click beetles that I have observed.
Can someone show me how and then I can just delete the old ones?

It seems like most of the features you want are built into Explore, for example, here is a list of click beetles you have observed:

By using the species view, you can search particular taxa and places to get lists of species. Are there are features of lists that you’re looking for beyond what’s in Explore?

1 Like

you can filter your own dynamic life list by place: https://www.inaturalist.org/lifelists/royaltyler?view=tree&details_view=observations&tree_mode=full_taxonomy&place_id=57431

if you’re not already aware, you have two versions of this place. it looks like one of these is probably badly defined and unused, and it can probably be deleted.

1 Like

thanks. I guess Exploreis what I have to use. I stay so busy adding observations and keying them out, that I didn’t realize two years ago my lists became obsolete. It was a very handy tool to keep track of stuff, but I guess from what I read it was bogging down the site. I played around with Explore today and it will do most of what I need after a few keystrokes, so It’s more trouble but adequate for my needs.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.