How to Restrict Observations Being Added in a Project to Only that Project

Hello everyone!

I have been using iNaturalist off and on for some time, and my organization and I (Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy) want to start a scavenger hunt project.

I was making a test project to see how the project system works and it seemed to have added ALL of my observations to the project even though I had not specified them to that project.

Under the project requirements on the main page, it says “Project: Any”

I went back into the settings to change this and I can’t seem to find it anywhere. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you so much!

Hi @shayrain7x! Check out the Managing Projects guide - it will help explain how collection projects work. You’ll need to select some more filters, like a date range, location, list of species, etc. All observations that meet the project settings are automatically included in a project. https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/managing-projects

(I think it may be a bug that the “Project Requirements” section displays a row for Projects. That should only apply to Umbrella projects and not Collection projects.)

2 Likes

Sounds like a Traditional Project may be more like what you are looking for.

1 Like

I totally did not see my notifications until now! So so sorry for the delayed response.

It turns out, jciv was correct, a traditional project was what I was looking for.

Thanks for the additional resources however! They were very helpful in creating my project.

• Shaylyn

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.