How to transfer Seek observations to new phone?

I’ve been using Seek for a while and racked up quite a few observations while competing with my daughter to see who could find the most stuff. Over the weekend, I got a new phone, but I don’t know how to make my observations show up there? Logging in to iNaturalist didn’t help.

2 Likes

Had you been posting them to iNaturalist at the time you made the observations? I don’t use Seek, but maybe this will help? https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/post-seek-observations-onto-inaturalist-long-after-making-them/7146

1 Like

Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

1 Like

I sure hope somebody has a way to transfer my Seek observations to my new phone. I have been using this app for the last year and have accumulated a large amount of observations. I really don’t want to start over again every time I get a new phone.

2 Likes

By the way, at the end of this Seek website page it says where to email for help with Seek: https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/seek_app

I submitted my question to support and here’s the answer I got:

I’m glad you’re enjoying Seek. Unfortunately there isn’t a way to sync observations, badges, etc., between devices via the internet. If your new phone runs the same OS as the previous one (eg iOS and iOS) you might be able to transfer apps between them.

I don’t think they understand what I’m asking. I simply need to transfer my Seek observations from one phone to another. It’s the exact same phone. What good is the app that tracks my observations if I have to start over again every time I get a new phone??

2 Likes

Seek is not meant to track your observations. It deliberately doesn’t use user accounts, because it’s directed at children, and meant to be relatively simple. Thus there may not be any external record of your information – it would all be somewhere in the device using Seek.
Depending on where your saved information is kept within your phone, it may be impossible to retrieve. Apparently it is set up so that it can’t be uploaded online (through regular methods, at least).

Have you considered using iNaturalist? It doesn’t have the live identification tools that Seek does, but all your data would be saved online – no need to worry about losing anything when you switch devices.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.