I cant upload photos to new observations

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website):

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About):

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) :

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1:
Andoid
Step 2:
When I try to upload images from my phone for new observation, the app wont let me. I have successfully uploaded images from my phone camera before. Im caught in a loop of upload image to upload image.
Step 3:
How can I correct this?

Can you please share a screenshot of what you’re seeing? Here are instructions for how to take a screenshot on several types of devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org

What version of the app are you using? Filling out the template is helpful for troubleshooting the issue.

under your phone settings - Apps - iNaturalist - Permissions - Photos and videos, is the “Allow” button selected?

1 Like

this sounds like the same thing as https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/unable-to-access-gallery-at-all-via-app/44897. there was a problem in the beta version 1.29.7 that was causing issues. but since then, they’ve released 1.29.11 that should correct the issues. what version are you using?

I just started having the same inability to upload photos from my Android phone. When I click “Choose a Photo”, It refuses to go to my Google Photos. It just goes straight to the edit page as if it thinks I’ve chosen a photo, but none is there. I have version 1.29.11

what is your Android OS version?

I’ve also seen a report via help@inaturalist.org. The next time this happens, can you please send us log files? That might give us some insight into what’s going on.

To send log files, go to the About tab in the iNaturalist app and tap three times on the version number. You will then have the option to email the log files to us.

I’m having the same issue. I just updated the app, to no avail.

Platform Android

App version number 1.29.11 (585)

Screenshots of what you are seeing

Description of problem As soon as I try to add an image to a new observation, the app immediately pops to the screenshotted page and I am also subsequently unable to add an image via editing the obs.

This was happening to me earlier today, so I went to check my permissions. Although the app did have photo permissions, it did not have permission for audio files. When I gave it audio permissions, I was able to upload photos again. I’m not positive if that alone is what fixed it, but it could be worth a try.

3 Likes

I believe this to be the issue, as well.

When the app updated to version 1.29.11 on Android it prompted me to allow contacts, microphone, and Music and audio. I declined, as I like to limit the number of allowed activities on my phone, and I see no reason why it would need access to this if I’m not going to be uploading audio.

Since then I have not been allowed to upload any photos from Gallery.

Is this a bug that can be corrected? Or are we doomed to have to allow actions on our phone that we won’t be utilizing?

I was able to replicate and let our developer know. I think this is a bug, he’s taking a look.

1 Like

Appreciate the help on this. Any update?

Same problem here with a Motorola Edge+ 2023 on Android 13.

Is the concensus that this is something that is not going to be fixed?

It’s fixed in the current beta version of the app.

2 Likes