Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.
Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Website
App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About):
Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Firefox and Chrome
URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:
Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.): I was away from iNat for several months (way too long!). With recent posts, some i.d.'s of my observations made by others do not show up on my Dashboard. I don’t see a pattern in which do and which don’t.
Hi @tiwane, I gave this a few days to see if anything shifted. Your comment did appear on my Dashboard. But the original i.d. (by poa) still has not appeared there.
If this is a single occurrence, it’s not a problem. But if it happens regularly or often, I’d love to find a workaround. I’m making a biolist for an area of the San Bernardino Mountains, and I hope not to miss any updated i.d.'s. from the community.
Comments appeared on the dash. Neither of the i.d.'s, which happened a couple of days ago, did. This observation has another quirk: though it has received three species-level i.d.'s, it still appears as “Needs ID.”
Hi @tiwane, following up on this question. I’m still running into the same problem with notification of community IDs not showing up, but have more info to add:
I know of four ways to receive notifications about community IDs of my observations (Dashboard and thought bubble on the web; Activity list and color change of the tab next to the species name on my Pixel phone); for quite a few of my observations that have received community i.d.'s, none of these notifications have appeared, even after several days. This is more typical when the community member has agreed with an i.d. I have made, but sometimes happens in other cases. Instead of receiving notifications, I happen upon the i.d. change when scanning my observations. (For recent observations, that’s totally fine; I’m concerned about i.d. changes to past observations, which I’d prefer not to miss.)
Is this simply a matter of iNat having so many observations that the system does not notify me of all the i.d.'s (understandable!)? Or is there something else going on (including the possibility of user error on my part)?
I’m glad for any further info you can offer. Thanks!
Looking at your account settings, you have confirming IDs turned off, so you should not receive notifications if someone adds an ID which confirms yours. You should be receiving notifications for IDs that don’t confirm yours (or are finer, like a ssp ID to your species ID), comments, and @ mentions of you on any observation which you’re following. The dashboard is already known to be fairly buggy and replacements are in the works, so there isn’t much we’re going to do about that. But you should be notified about those things in the speech bubble on the header. If you can point to a specific thing for which you received no notification, that’d be helpful for investigating it.