Impossible to completely avoid interface language in common names with new system

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Website

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Firefox

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: Any page showing a common name of a taxon with a common name in interface language but not selected lexicon for common names

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: Go to account settings and select an interface language under Account (English in my example) then a different language under common name lexicon under Content and Display (Danish in my example), explicitly making sure to remove “Same as user language/locale preference” from the list of selected options

Step 2: View any page displaying a taxon with a common name in the interface language but not the common name lexicon. The most observose species affected by this under my choice of language pair is https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/43111-Sylvilagus-floridanus and https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/49150-Dione-vanillae

This is unwanted behaviour - I would prefer to have English as the interface language as some less-used parts of the Danish interface (particularly in the curatorial tools) are unhelpfully or confusingly translated. English common names however add only confusion for me as I have essentially no experience using most of them and so would much prefer just the scientific ones to show when a Danish one is unavailable.

I have previously been flipping back and forth on language setting when doing curator stuff vs. IDs (I have only recently been given curator status and so relied heavily on descriptions in interfaces to make sure I wasn’t doing anything wrong), and immediately hoped that this new system would solve that inconvenience upon seeing it.

1 Like

Thanks. I think you should be able to use the site in the way you descibe above, I’ll see if we can get that functionality out.

Maybe an idea to fix it by adding a correct translation?

We pushed a change to address this issue. Does it behave now as you’d expect?

2 Likes

Yes, thank you

This topic was automatically closed after 19 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.