Increase number of image uploads at once on iOS app

On iOS it takes a long time to add photos for each observation and fill in detail.
( I find it time-consuming enough it puts me off uploading images despite taking them )
So I wondered if there could be a way to upload more at once.

The main options I wanted to request are:

• increasing limit from 4 photos at a time to more
  • being able to multi-select more than one observation at a time for upload

For iOS weā€™re using Appleā€™s built-in image chooser and Iā€™m not sure it allows one to pick more than four at a time, Iā€™d have to double check.

3 Likes

ahh right, I wondered why that was a limit

is it the one called PHPickerviewcontroller?
if so, seems like the limit might be possible to change
I guess would make it harder to do the second aspect though

I editted the title as it seemed unclear

Sure - it just takes more clicks. You have to navigate back to the original place in your photo reelā€¦ ensure you havenā€™t already uploaded the other photos, etc.

Its already time-consuming in comparison to desktop to have to add observations one at a time,
why make it even more time-consuming by limiting initial upload to 4?

If its a limit in the built-in chooser Tiwane mentions, thatā€™s one thing, ā€¦but otherwise, I think its an unnecessary hindrance.

I agree, a ā€˜bookmarkā€™ on the scroll screen where it goes back to the last position when you reopen it would help much more than changing the image upload limitation (though that would be good too); if I take hundreds of pictures on a hike I donā€™t want to scroll back hundreds of times to make each new observation. Not sure if that is technically possible but it would be great.

4 Likes

@brian_d - ahh right I see :)

@wildskyflower - yes, I have wondered about feature requesting that too - but perhaps it should just form part of this request then - its true this also has significant impact - especially if you are uploading a large number of observations or if you have to upload something from before the last days.
It would also be amazing if it could remember which ones you have already uploaded and grey them out (even if just with regard to uploads in the current session) imagine thats also a little more complex to implement though.

2 Likes

Yeah if I have taken hikes on two consecutive days and taken 1000 photos adding observations through the app is effectively impossible because of all the scrolling and guessing which thumbnail I have already added, especially because sometimes the app will randomly crash and I have to restart an observation

2 Likes

Circling back to this: itā€™s possible to increase the number of photos one can import at a time, but are people often adding more than four photos to an observation? I can see increasing it to mayb 6 or so, but if you greatly increase it then youā€™ll increase the issues caused by people who donā€™t know that all imported photos shoudl be for one observation.

That wonā€™t be happening in the current mobile apps, but some form of it is what we want to have in the upcoming new app.

2 Likes

If you can allow user to group many photos by observation like in website, it will speed up the whole uploading processā€¦
(Especially when there are 50+ observations in one hike)

1 Like

Certainly not for every observation. But yes Iā€™ll fairly frequently add maybe five to eight photos to an observation from the iOS app, such as for a flowering plant when you want to get a couple of different angles of the leaves, flowers, fruit, stipules, overall habit, etc. Iā€™ve often wondered why the pickerā€™s limit is ā€œonlyā€ four photos.

4 Likes

Yes, same. It really variesā€¦ but when its a complex taxon and you donā€™t know whatā€™s needed to IDā€¦or yes, adding habitat, etc. Then it becomes super painful to have to stop and startā€¦ especially if the app crashes halfway through!

Of course I could just upload via computer and browserā€¦but then for me that kind of defeats the point of using the phone in the first place ā€¦in part at least.

How will it impact this?
Arenā€™t most of these observations null and void whether they contain 4 or 8 photos?

Look forward to trying new app!

2 Likes

For users, usually new, who donā€™t know to separate photos to separate observations, with more photos allowed for upload/observation, you would expect fewer multi-organism observations, but with more species/observation. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s better/worse. Itā€™s harder to correct each observation, but there would be fewer problematic observation.

I do think that itā€™s important to think about how changes like this would affect both experienced and new users. For experienced users, I think a change like this would be beneficial, but I can see it causing issues for newer users.

Maybe testing out the impact of a change like this on the iOS app now could be a pilot for how it might work on the new unified app.

1 Like

Why canā€™t you add multiple pictures to an ob from the ā€˜upload an observationā€™ page? I have to always manually add extra pictures after theyā€™re uploaded. And when I upload a lot of them at once. Theyā€™re already getting IDā€™s, when Iā€™ve not even uploaded all the picturesā€¦ that really frustrates me.

Or am I just not seeing that feature? If this does exist, somebody please explain/show me how you do it.

Often, no. But still enough to want this feature! Five to six photos allowed as a maximum is probably our magic number. This applies mostly to winged and once-winged insects for us, trying to get different views uploaded. The workaround is to add the original four photos and then within the observation being created, click the + on the left of the photos and add the remaining photos.

2 Likes

Can you share a screenshot of what youā€™re referring to as the ā€œupload an observationā€ page?

It should make it much more clear to users what kind of photos belong in an observation (eg all from the same encounter with an organism) but I guess weā€™ll have to seeā€¦ And itā€™ll be easier to combine a bunch of photos into one observation before the observation is created.

I should also note that the limit is pretty high for Android, so I donā€™t see a reason why iOS canā€™t be bumped up. Made an issue here: https://github.com/inaturalist/INaturalistIOS/issues/674

I think guidance by way of a couple of brief bullet point notes above the row of buttons would keep requirements top of mind for everyone and go a long way to help inexperienced users in particular. Thereā€™s plenty of screen real estate to do this and not feel like itā€™s cluttering things.

As mentioned above, thereā€™s a design for this in the new app thatā€™s being developed. At this point weā€™re not really doing much work on the existing apps.