International women's day

Greeting one and all women present here in on inaturalist. It’s great to see women doing all the work like being curators, forum moderators or just being active observer and observer, You all have done great work in achieving targets against gender prejudice. I am proud of you all. there are women in my life who played a great role in me being a nature freak
There is my mother who keeps on listening to my hours and hours of talking about nature, she is in fact a good listener, my sister always motivates and guides me to doing nature related work, she is the one who motivated me for joining inaturalist, there are women of inaturalist active users and observers who makes me feel bold about what I’m doing about nature, and one who motivates a lot is Greta Thunberg, I don’t know if anyone think what she does is childish, but yeah she motivates me a lot in doing a lot for nature at such young age.
Jane Goodall, makes me wonder about that rhesus macaque that was messing around.
So what about you, what are the women in your life that makes you wonder and do about nature?, Do you have women in your life, that makes u wonder and protect nature. this question is for everyone from every gender,

13 Likes

correction is made to post, question was incomplete, eager to know ur women idol :)

2 Likes

Several of my first contacts with the scientific community were women. Nalini Nadkarni is a well-known name in her field – forest canopy biology. She was on the faculty of Evergreen State College when I was an undergrad. After graduating, I did some volunteer work for the Washington Department of Natural Resources at a remnant Puget Prairie, and my supervisor there was Roberta Davenport. These are names that stand out to me because I knew these women when I was forming as a scientist.

5 Likes

In 1980-82, I sometimes worked with Dr. Ruth Turner at the Harvard MCZ. She was the world expert on shipworms, a family of bivalve mollusks. She was the first woman to ever go down in the submersible Alvin to the Hydrothermal Vents in the Atlantic. She was fierce and extremely capable. She should have been made the Head of the Department at Harvard instead of Ken Boss, but back then Harvard did not put women in that high a position.

I helped write the Wikipedia article about her:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Turner

My mother was a village girl and when I was little she taught me the names of about 15 or 20 of the common wildflowers.

6 Likes

When we first joined inat @fffffffff was very helpful and nice to us in this forum and while identifying on iNat. Her generosity helped us feel more welcome and included and we are grateful.

9 Likes

I feel truly honored, that means a lot to me to read such words!
I’m grateful to my mom and grandma who were supporting of my interest, my bird teacher, Maria Hohlova (Gudkova), who both taught me a lot on the subject of birds and nature in general, but also allowed me to participate in trips and expeditions to places I’ll probably will not visit again. On iNat I recieve great help and also communicate with many women: julia_shner, natalia_gamova, mobbini, lenatara, allaverkhozina, @jurga_li, katerina_kashirina and many more! So, I’m in a disagreement with one old post that says iNat is male dominated.)

8 Likes

I’m a big fan of my wife and my daughter. And by “big fan” I mean they are the most important things in my life.

Speaking strictly iNaturalist, many people have been very helpful to me and my family on here but the ones who come to mind immediately are @antrozousamelia and @fffffffff. There’s undoubtedly many, many others, as well, all who I appreciate tremendously.

6 Likes

Great job to all of the women. Keep up the great work.

2 Likes

I don’t have any women heros in science really; sadly i’m surrounded by dudes, and always was even as a kid and then school/college/uni/graduate. I often feel pretty lonely tbh, especially being queer as well, and larger bodied (‘fat’) so lots of people make assumptions just looking at me (it’s hard to even find good clothes to wear in field, and I end up making my own, that’s how unwelcome I am in the outdoors!). In my grad school I was hampered / unwelcome by the women in the department just as much (often moreso, as I didn’t fit in with their cliques) as the men. So I find a few good friends/collegues, and keep on keepin’ on :)

edit to add: I guess my second grad lab’s manager was pretty cool, older lady who been through it all, she had a PhD from decades ago and been in the field that long, had all the stories about how unwelcome women are, but it may have contributed to my cynism as nothing had changed xD however she was the only one who didn’t fake sugar-coat how things were, so I respected her a lot for that.

3 Likes

My mother and grandmother taught me everything I knew about plants when I was a child. It took iNaturalist to take it to the next level. Ever grateful to leaders like @susanhewitt and @bouteloua for their encouragement.

9 Likes

Each year on International Women’s Day, the public library I run highlights books by and about women. Our “8 for March 8” display makes a point of including a book for children about women’s accomplishments in all fields, including science. This year, we chose:

The girl who drew butterflies: how Maria Merian’s art changed science (2018) by Joyce Sidman. ISBN 9780544717138. Catalogue description: “Joyce Sidman explores the extraordinary life and scientific discoveries of Maria Merian (1647-1717), who discovered the truth about metamorphosis and documented the science behind the mystery in this visual biography that features many original paintings by Maria herself.”

Some other great selections to inspire young scientists:

The bug girl: (a true story) (2020) by the Bug Girl herself, Sophia Spencer with Margaret McNamara ; illustrated by Kerascoët. ISBN 9780735267527. “Sophia Spencer has loved bugs ever since a butterfly landed on her shoulder–and wouldn’t leave!–at a butterfly conservancy when she was only two-and-a-half years old. In preschool and kindergarten, Sophia was thrilled to share what she knew about grasshoppers (her very favorite insects), as well as ants and fireflies… but by first grade, not everyone shared her enthusiasm. Some students bullied her, and Sophia stopped talking about bugs altogether. When Sophia’s mother wrote to an entomological society looking for a bug scientist to be a pen pal for her daughter, she and Sophie were overwhelmed by the enthusiastic response–letters, photos, and videos came flooding in. Using the hashtag BugsR4Girls, scientists tweeted hundreds of times to tell Sophia to keep up her interest in bugs–and it worked!”

Counting on Katherine (2018) by Helaine Becker ; illustrated by Dow Phumiruk. ISBN 9781250137524. “From Katherine’s early beginnings as a gifted student to her heroic accomplishments as a prominent mathematician at NASA, this is the story of a groundbreaking American woman who not only calculated the course of moon landings but, in turn, saved lives and made enormous contributions to history.”

Marie Curie and radioactivity (2020) by Jordi Bayarri ; translation by Patricia Ibars and John Wright. ISBN 9781541586994. “Marie Curie stunned the scientific world when her research uncovered two elements, polonium and radium. This accessible graphic biography gives readers a look at her collaborations with Pierre Curie, her medical work during World War I, and more.”

Shark lady: the true story of how Eugenie Clark became the ocean’s most fearless scientist (2017) written by Jess Keating ; illustrations by Marta Álvarez Miguéns. ISBN 9781492642046. “At 9 years old, Eugenie Clark developed an unexpected passion for sharks after a visit to the Battery Park Aquarium in New York City. At the time, sharks were seen as mindless killing machines, but Eugenie knew better and set out to prove it. Despite many obstacles in her path, Eugenie was able to study the creatures she loved so much. From her many discoveries to the shark-related myths she dispelled, Eugenie’s wide scientific contributions led to the well-earned nickname “Shark Lady”.”

6 Likes

When I was younger, my mother would take me to the lake by our house and we would sit on a blanket watching all the ducks and turtles. She would point out all the mallards, the little wood ducks, and the Canada geese to me and needless to say I was endlessly fascinated by them. I definitely wouldn’t be as passionate about the environment and ecology had it not been for her. Nowadays when I’m hiking with her, she’s endlessly patient as I pause every 10 steps or so to photograph a plant or an animal that I see (and for that I love her).

6 Likes

Awh, thanks, Dallon! <3 That was a nice surprise to see a notification for :)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.