iOS App Crashes

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): iOS on an iPhone

App version number: 3.0 build 594

Description of problem: Initially this morning, the app took a LONG time to load. After it finally loaded, the app crashes at odd moments. There isn’t one particular thing that does it. Just now, it was just sitting at the “Me” page, and it crashed without my doing anything. Sometimes it crashes when I try to add an observation, in the “Observe” function. Quite often, if I scroll through the list on the “Me” page, click on an observation that has a red marker, look at the comments, then return to the “Me” page, it crashes. SOMETIMES the crash is just the app freezing, other times it just closes by itself. Very random.

This just started this morning. Before today, no problems. I did “reboot” my iPhone to see if that cleared things, but that didn’t improve anything.

iOS version 13.6.1 on an iPhone Xr

1 Like

Sorry that it’s crashing so much, Charles. Have you seen an option to send a crash report? If so, have you sent any? We’re investigating a few others.

1 Like

No option for a crash report that I see. Do you mean when it crashes? Generally, one of two things happens. The app just closes (no error, no options), or the app freezes. Note that this isn’t a rare thing, it happens ALL the time, usually within minutes of use

Also note, I have a lot of observations, if that is part of the problem. SDImageCache: 550,649 for 76 files - Un-Uploaded Photos: 17,935,957,255 for 11,223 files

1 Like

I am seeing this as well. Since I updated the app, it won’t stay running long enough to do anything. Crashes very frequently.

1 Like

We’re working on crash fixes for the new version. If you log out of the app and log back in or delete and install the app, does the app still crash?

2 Likes

I have the same problem. I will upload 50 photos and then all of the sudden it will crash and my phone will turn off and then I have to close the app out to fix it.

1 Like

You’re uploading 50 observations at a time? So you were out in the field, made 50 observations (with auto-upload off) and are uploading them now? Can you pleas share a screenshot of what you’re seeing?

Are you using version 3.0?

1 Like

@tiwane I took 50 pictures on Camera, and then when on Inat, it will get more glitchy after the 40 observation part, and at around 50 crash.

1 Like

I may be using version 3.0

1 Like

Ok, I just updated it.

1 Like

Mine has been doing the same thing. Just crashes at random.

Logging out and back in seems to have solved the problem for me.

1 Like

Still doing the same thing. Loading and crashing.

For anyone still experiencing this problem, does deleting the app and reinstalling it resolve the issue? Sometimes I encountered this with beta versions, but deleting and reinstalling always stopped the crashes.

1 Like

I deleted and reinstalled, it seems to have fixed things. Before, I could crash it in less than a minute, every time. Now, it hasn’t crashed yet, but I’ve only been using it for a few minutes. But things that were guaranteed to crash it before haven’t crashed it, yet

1 Like

I’m having nearly constant issues with the app freezing (usually) or crashing (rarely). Normally this happens soon after I open the app and especially if I start scrolling through my observations. It’s gotten particularly bad since the last update, to the point where it freezes nearly every time I open the app and try to scroll through observations. Photo/observation upload seems to be working ok.

iPhone 6s, iOS 13.7, iNat app v 3.0.1, build 601

Hi @henicorhina, sorry you’re experiencing this - it happened to me too when I updated to 3.0. Does deleting and reinstalling the app fix the issue for you?

@bouteloua It’s not, unfortunately. I tried deleting and reinstalling twice, and also logged out and logged back in. Didn’t make any difference.

1 Like

Shoot. Thanks for following up! Hopefully they can get it figured out soon.

Are you going down the list of observations in the Me tab when it freezes/crashes, or are you looking through photos in individual observations or taxa? Sorry it’s still giving you trouble! More fixes are in the works.