iPhone app - Changing some settings also affects other settings

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): IOS

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): 3.2.8 build 686

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: Have suggest species and automatic upload turned off on the app

Step 2: go to settings and turn on suggest species

Step 3: automatic upload turns itself on.

Automatic upload also turns itself back on if the app updates or if i log out then in again. That setting is horrible and basically breaks the app for a bunch of reasons, so I don’t ever want it on. I respect that others like it, that is fine, but please stop defaulting it to ‘on’ any time i change any app settings.

1 Like

Made a Github issue here: https://github.com/inaturalist/INaturalistIOS/issues/656

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website):

iOS

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About):

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) :

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: Change an app setting.

Step 2: Others change by themselves.

I’m trying to have the app settings as follows:

Autocomplete names: On

Automatic upload: Off

Suggest species: On

Show common names: On

Show scientific names first: Off

I’ve found that changing one will undesirably change another one. For example, I change the setting for automatic upload to off, and that will immediately change both “show common names” and “show scientific names first” to off. Then, if I turn “show common names” back to on, “show scientific names first” automatically turns back on, too, without me ever touching the button to do so.

I’m just trying to have my normal settings but without the automatic upload, which I’ve done many times before but I can’t figure it out with the settings changing themselves.

Same bug as in this report. I’ll change the title to the address the broader issue. It’s being investigated.

1 Like

Whoopsies. Thanks! I skimmed but didn’t see this thread when I skimmed.

1 Like

No worries!

Also, I don’t know if it is of use, but I screen-recorded messing around with what setting will then in turn change another, if that’s of use or help at any point. I don’t know if the triggers are consistent or random.

I have some screen recordings that I sent to our dev, but if you want to send any to help@inat that might be helpful as well.

1 Like

it’s like an odd whack-a-mole where changing anything makes something else change. I have to go back in like three times after i change anything. All i ever want to change is to turn suggest species on and off, because i like it when i have good cell service, but it doesn’t work with poor or no cell service. I never want to use auto sync nore change the way my names display.

Sounds like just a bug though, so hopefully it’s easily fixable.

1 Like

We released a fix in the latest beta version - not sure if either of you are beta testers, but it’s looking good to me.

1 Like

OK, the update with this fix is rolling out to all users via the App Store over the next few days. It’s version 3.2.11.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 17 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.