Is there a way to batch edit my old observation locations?

I’d like to be able to batch edit my posted observations in the same way as when you submit new observations on a computer. I have thousands of observations set to obscure and there’s a good number of them that I would like to change, however going one by one is nearly impossible.

Thanks for any help!

2 Likes

You should be able to use https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/gmed_mx, which has a Batch Edit feature next to the Add Observations button.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. but it appears that it just gives you a list to edit, which would be the same as just sorting through my observations and manually changing each one. Maybe I’m just not figuring out the batch edit correctly though.

For example, I want to batch edit observations from the same area/day, and instead of obscuring all of them (select all feature for loaction) I want to set a general area circle, when uploading photos on the web you’re able to have this option, see screenshot:

When using the batch edit feature, I’m seeing that I have the possibility to manually edit each location, but not for the selected observations as in the previous example when uploading the observations for the first time:

If you select “Edit observations” on the drop down under your profile picture in the corner of the webpage, you can go into the filters at the top of the new page and search specifically for obscured observations. Once you do that, if you hit “batch edit” on the new list of only obscured observations you have, you can select all of the observations on that page and change whatever you want on them. That’s how I do it at least and it works for me. I’m going the other way, and I’ve been actively obscuring my older observations so I do this exact thing except instead of searching for obscured observations I search for the open geoprivacy observations.

2 Likes

You can select specific dates when you go to edit your observations. That’ll provide you with a list, then if you batch edit those, in the settings for batch editing, if you can change the location and apply the same location and radius to all of them. Is that more towards what you’re looking to do?

1 Like

Ok, so I went ahead and did it that way and this is what I got :joy:

was that after you submitted the changes or right at the start? it is possible you tried to do too many at once

Yes, that’s what I was trying to explain but you did a much better job. Setting the same location radius to all of the photos from one specific area (while still providing me with the accurate geolocation).

For example, I might have climbed a hill, but don´t want to give away the route so collectors don’t go after endangered cacti, or developers removing them from the site. However, I think it’s valuable for other iNater’s to know what areas to look in if they’ve got something on their list while here in Los Cabos.

2 Likes

That was after selecting obscured observations as a search parameter and hitting “search”

That’s unfortunate, mine still work.

Also in terms of your geoprivacy concern you could map to the top of the hill with a large area of uncertainty buffer covering the entire approach, or something like that.

1 Like

Okay, I tried doing it on mine and it all worked out decently. Maybe try from square one and log out, log back in, then follow the steps to get to the list of observations from a specific time or place. If that works and you get to the batch edit page, the 3rd edit option on that page is for location, and if you just hold down at the place you want, it’ll create a radius for the observation, so you can make it as big or small as you want. If the actual list isn’t working, that’s odd. Usually it says “no observations” or something like that instead of saying the actual page doesn’t work, so that makes me think there’s a connection problem or something, maybe? Not entirely sure. But I do know that if I understand what you’re trying to do, what I’ve said before will enable you to do it.

1 Like

Thank you soooo much, this is exactly what I wanted to do. I’m placing a screenshot and steps in case anybody else needs it for future reference.

Step 1: Go to “Edit Observations” under the profile image on the top right-hand side of the webpage.

Step 2: Select the “Batch Edit” option next to Add Observations and select the observations you want to edit based on your parameters.

Step 3: Click on “Edit Selected” which will take you to a new web page showing a list of your selected observations to edit

Step 4: Click on the “Batch Operations” drop-down in the yellow box and select the radius you want to apply to the selected observations, you will then need to scroll down to the bottom of the page and press the “Save All” option.

4 Likes

another thing you can do is use this feature to reduce the observations in the search spatially.

1 Like

@anon83178471 @charlie thank you both for your help and replies! It’s working for me now and I posted a step by step in case anyone finds this topic helpful in the future :)

2 Likes

Thanks! I wonder if there is a wiki somewhere to add that to

2 Likes

My hunch is that nearly 10,000 observations with 99% set to obscure was probably a bit much for it to handle, once I set the range to specific dates (months) it gave me the results I was looking for :v:

3 Likes

If you click on the “Batch Operations” button at the top there, you can edit the location and other things of all of the selected observations at once.

Edit: Just realized this has already been said; didn’t read far enough.

1 Like

I’m catching up on my older ones that aren’t obscured but it’s been page after page after page of 200 observations each. It’s tiring and repetitive but I’m getting it done! Hope you get yours done easily, too!

1 Like

Seems like it’s a tough slog there mate, just getting through my 312 observations from today :upside_down_face:

Thank you and good luck to you as well, oh kind fellow iNater!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.