Maps load unusually slow when adding new obs

Hi, I’ve noticed that lately when I’m adding new observations, the Google maps popup to find the location takes a long time to load, often more than a minute, which can be painful when I’m trying to add several observations in specific points.

1 Like

does your slowness happen right away?

i’ve noticed that when i add observations on the web, that map pop-up is usually fine until some (random?) point at which it stops behaving well (becomes slow, which can even trigger the browser to reload the entire page if i don’t switch to a different tab). i’m not sure what the trigger is for the bad behavior, but it’ll persist until i reload the page. i don’t think it’s related to internet connection, since it seems to behave the same on relatively fast and relatively slow connections. it seems like i usually will have to have at least 10 observations to encounter the problem, but i might see the problem starting with the 10th observation, or starting with the 30th. i will note that on one old machine that i upgraded from 4GB of RAM to 8GB, i haven’t remembered seeing the problem again on that machine, though i don’t use that machine much because it’s underpowered otherwise.

that said, i think my problem has always existed. i haven’t loaded a lot of observations lately, but i don’t think i’ve noticed the problem being worse recently.

2 Likes

Most evenings I notice iNat running slower, and slower. Till in desperation I restart my laptop - then it runs normally again. Too much data loading in the background for my internet connection?

what you’re describing sort of sounds like a classic “memory leak”. i don’t know if a memory leak is necessarily the cause of the problem in the original post, but i do think memory (or the lack of it) is related. i mentioned earlier that i have an underpowered machine that i upgraded to 8GB of memory, and i still haven’t encountered the map slowness when using the upload page on that machine. meanwhile, the machine that i use more often (which is more powerful except that it has only 4GB of memory) often shows the map slowness on the upload page. so maybe if you want to experience fewer problems on the upload page, something you might be able to do immediately on your own is add some RAM?

1 Like

is anyone still experiencing this problem? I used to encounter problems frequently using the old version of the Edge browser. since I’ve updated to the Chromium version of Edge, i seem to rarely encounter these kinds of problems. i assume you guys were using old Edge like i was. if upgrading to the new Edge (or using a different browser) solves things, then maybe this can be closed? (old Edge is going to die at some point. so it seems pointless to try to fix any problems that are specific to that browser.)

1 Like

Can be closed for me. Never experienced it again since the last updates to the site.

2 Likes