Nature-inspired memes

spending an absurd amount of time investigating this tree full of chippers! only to realize

(really specific but idk, maybe there are some out there who’ve felt my pain :joy:)

11 Likes

Noo too relatable :sweat_smile:

A lot of Buteos in the Old World are split into “different” species by phylogenetics but when you ask someone how to identify them, they say “use range”. A good example is the Common Buzzard complex which has since been split in the following species; Common, Steppe (only by some authors), Cape Verde (which was lumped with Common… again, this year), Himalayan, Eastern, Mountain, Forest, Madagascar and Socotra Buzzards. Yet there’s not really a comprehensive guide on how to identify all of them by morphology, you only get partials from various authors. While in the Americas, Buteo taxonomy is pretty stable as there is not really any debates what is and what isn’t a species. Really the only two debates there are in America is Harlan’s Hawk (currently a subspecies of Red-tailed Hawk) and if the California Red-shouldered Hawk is a biological species.

5 Likes

Ah, classic taxonomy mishaps. Hold on, this has inspired a meme of my own:

20 Likes

Where do dandelion microspecies fit? :upside_down_face:

Personally I would add something like:

“What do you mean species ID requires a microscope?”

“I have my specimen under a microscope, what do you mean there’s no key for the subfamily?”

6 Likes

8 Likes

oh shoot, did i delete my note? i meant to add the text “not pictured: the confusing hellscape that is non-animal taxonomy” :P

3 Likes

Two I’ve made and posted on the discord:

… i have trouble getting photos of dragonflies, okay

19 Likes

That would be a meme, too: fill the square with identical dandelion flowers and put the words, “These are are all different species.”

2 Likes

Now I need to compete with yours.

4 Likes

14 Likes

24 Likes

22 Likes

“Photograph the antennae you must”!

4 Likes

If birds could talk…

11 Likes

When you see a metal fence with lots of jumpers

9 Likes