Need info! iOS app crashes when you tap on photo library icon in iOS 13

Same issue here. On iPhone 7 with latest iOS, 13.1.2.

My iCloud acct has plenty of storage and I keep/download original photos. I reinstalled iNat app and problem persists. Help!

2 Likes

Thank you for the replies, bummer that the update hasn’t helped, but it was a long shot. Another user wrote in to help@inat and said that if they edit a photo and then save it, they are able to import it into iNat. I’m not sure if you have to actually edit the photo (this person rotated the photos), but you do need to tap Edit and Save it. Worth trying out.

So if they’re able to get into their library, that seems like a different issue, because this one, we can’t even get into the library at all. You tap the button for it and it hangs for a second and crashes. There’s not even a way to get to a photo that’s been edited or not.

1 Like

Updated to iOS 13.1.2 and still crashing when attempting to access the Photo Library.

2 Likes

OK, we should have a fix out by next week.

3 Likes

Same for me… iOS 13.1.2 still crashing. I saw the post saying an update next week could fix the bug. Very happy about this! My last upload was September 18th, 2019.

1 Like

Hello. My iphone 6S updated to ios 13.1.2 yesterday, and I could no longer upload photos into iNaturalist. I would tap on the photo to be uploaded in my photo library, press “done” and the app would crash and close. I am (hopefully) attaching screenshots as requested. After reading the other posts, I did try to upload again after editing the photo. I made no changes to the photo other than turning it around a full 360 degrees, and lo and behold, the app did not crash and accepted the photo! iNaturalist is the best app ever and I use it all the time. Thank you for the app and for whatever fix you are able to provide. Have a lovely day!!

I am a new user, and the forum would only allow me to upload one photo per reply. Here is the other screenshot.

screen%20shot%20for%20iNaturalist%20%232

Do you have your iCloud set to keep original photos?

Hey all, I think we’re good for information now, thanks for sharing! We’re just working on implementing a fix, testing it, then getting out to the app store.

If you absolutely need to get observations up in the meantime, you can use our web uploader on a laptop or desktop computer. Here’s a tutorial video for it: https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/video+tutorials#add_web

2 Likes

I just saw the update released on the app store. Downloaded it and still not working. The app still crashes when trying to access the photo library in iOS. Running the latest version of iOS and the latest (as of today) version of iNaturalist. Tried a complete re-install and still no-go.

If you guys need real-world users to help beta test a solution, let me know.

The only one I see is for Seek, iNaturalist is still on 2.8

1 Like

I update to iOS 13.1.2 on my iPhone SE a few weeks ago and experience the app crashing but after I selected the photos in the library & hit “done”. It appears to crash if I select photos taken prior to the upgrade.

image Crazy this just started this morning
I’m running 13.1 but it wasn’t a issue yesterday
Anytime I hit the photo button to up load a photo it crashes

Crazy on my phone all I need to do is hit the Camera button and it crashes on my tablet it can hit the button and it will open my photos
But when I select the photos and then I try to upload it crashes
Again I had no issues yesterday it started this morning
I’m running 13.12

Crazy but now it working so it’s not the App ???

Is your app updated to v3.8? That’s what I have. It says the latest update was 1 month ago. Still not working for me. Support said an update could come last week but it hasn’t arrived for me.

I can use seek to upload an observation with a single image. As an aside, seek crashes when I press on a species image from the home menu.

This is my current work around as well. I submit the ID and photo using Seek (via Camera Roll). Then I do any ID-related edits in iNaturalist. Slow, and you can only submit a single image, but it’ll do until this gets sorted.

2 Likes