Notifications on iNaturalist - Please Share Your Ideas!

You can find this on your dashboard under Subscriptions and then Observations

1 Like

I agree. I would also like to see complete comments (whether attached to an ID or not) included right in the notifications page, so that there is no need to open the observation to see them unless more context is desired.

2 Likes

And for those of us who choose not to get notifications of confirming IDs, I would like my ID displayed on the notifications page as well, so that I donā€™t have to open the observation for no reason. As here:

I received the notification despite it being in complete agreement with my own identification, but I had to open it to make sure I hadnā€™t made a mistake. If my ID had been included on the notifications page I wouldnā€™t have had to open it.

2 Likes

Hey folks, just an update: now that things have finally calmed down after CNC and the ā€œspring bumpā€, weā€™ve started to turn our attention to the notifications revamp. Because this will be a reworking of a major part of iNaturalist, it will take quite some time so please be patient, and thank you for all of your feedback!

15 Likes

Thank you for letting us know.

2 Likes

The above referred to comments, but I want to add that this would make it easier on people who opt-out of confirming IDs, but still get non-disagreeing identifications below the level of their ID, by helping them evaluate whether they want to open the observation to view it. (An example would be a plant that I am comfortable identifying only to genus level, but others ID to species and/or subspecies.) Having oneā€™s own ID on the notification itself would streamline the process of going through notifications by making it unnecessary to go in and out of the observations themselves to make sure thereā€™s no real disagreement.

5 Likes

This has probably been discussed somewhere and I just canā€™t find it in a search. (Feel free to point me to previous discussions.)

So many people write informative journal posts that I would like to follow them, but I donā€™t care to see their every observation on my update feed. Is there a way, or future plans, to follow just journal posts?

Thanks,
Kimberlie

5 Likes

hiya, just a heads up that I moved your feature request to this topic about notification/dashboard improvements

4 Likes

I agree with this. It would be nice if we could refine what we follow in other ways tooā€“such as following a personā€™s observations in a particular taxa and/or geographical area, instead of all of them.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if this has been mentioned, and am uninclined to read the entire thread to confirm, but it would be nice to subscribe for notifications on a taxa, but only for flags placed on them.

5 Likes

Donā€™t know if this correct place for this. Dashboard. Iā€™ve read thereā€™s a concise dashboard or used to be one. Is there? Where is it? Would like a dashboard that duplicated notifications as they are nice and concise, but you donā€™t get all of them when you open it up again.

1 Like

I donā€™t need 6 notifications that this is a Mediterranean red bug. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/9291258 One or two should suffice.

See also the somewhat related Create a way to unfollow oneā€™s own observations, though Iā€™d still like to get notifications comments/faves/etc on this one.

6 Likes

Yes, Iā€™d also like to be able to ā€œsubscribeā€ to atlases to get notifications for out of range observations.

3 Likes

I completely forgot that you get dashboard notifications if you have given an ID for a taxon thatā€™s the input for a taxon swap because I rarely use the dashboard. Can we get that type of notification in the same place we get the others?

1 Like

I had requested controlling notifications by taxa up above, but only in the context of identification-related notifications. I think youā€™re the first to mention customization for flags at all, though, so Iā€™m glad you brought that up.

Two minor annoyances with the current system which I hope will be fixed:

If someone leaves a comment with my name in it, I currently get two notifications, one for the comment and one for my name. This case should probably be combined into one notification.

If I get a notification about a comment, and leave a comment in response, the notification jumps to the top of my list. I guess itā€™s using the time of the most recent comment on the observation instead of the time of the comment which triggered the notification. A new notification could be created for each new comment except mine, but I think Iā€™d prefer just a single notification which uses the time of the most recent comment I didnā€™t make.

9 Likes

this would be especially useful for Gerald ā€“ ā€œ160 new comments on your observationā€

7 Likes

I donā€™t think I need notifications for flags that I have resolved, but maybe others find them useful?

3 Likes

I would like a more spreadsheet orientation without photos but with a lot of fields and statussen and certainly no avatars which are rather useless in my opion. The only photo that matters a bit is the observation photo, and only one observation photo is shown. I will give an (bad) example because this example does NOT show time, Does not show the previous and proposed ID or Part of the comments. In these cases I also should like the Computer Vision proposed name, as CV works in Europe rather well. If the record gives enough information it might show an agree button tooā€¦so i do not need to open the whole observation detail page.

iā€™d also like to be able to take certain actions on the observations from the dashboard like ways to agree, ID, comment.

Currently there are small photos as they are now
(like List view in Explore), some want with larger photos by default (like Grid view in Explore) but i prefere not photos as it will work much faster and more compact and dense and much more fit on my screen.

The information in the notifications are toooo fewā€¦too little and most of it is not relevant at all for me, it would be very hulpfull if the record, row gives me ALL the information i need so i do not need to click for additional information which consumes a lot of timeā€¦except for making a change

It would be nice if part of the comment was shown so i do not need to open the observation, which is time consuming.

Several people want Sortingā€¦but i think I prefer filtering on for example ā€œAgreementsā€, ā€œconflictā€, ā€œMaverickā€, and ā€œCommentsā€ and the text might be bold or red and bold if notifications where the ID either differs from mine, differs from the community ID

the dashboard, have a way to sort notifications by type, eg my observations, comments, confirming IDs, mentions, journal posts, etc.

Reading this topic i thought a spreadsheet like orientation without avatars and with a bit more description fields might speed up scrolling through my notifications https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/high-cpu-usage-on-desktop-website/5466/29

2 Likes

I donā€™t futz with many observation fields, but looks like when I do, the notification generated makes it seem like the observer made the change rather than me:

I changed from planted?=yes to planted=no.

2 Likes