Observation showing Casual but has no DQA votes

I added an identification of Domestic Dog to this observation, and it automatically became Casual. That would not in itself be surprising, but I checked the DQA and there were no votes of Not Wild. When I went back to it a few minutes later, it did show that iNaturalist had automatically casted a vote, which is functionality I am aware of. The bug is that it didn’t immediately show that, but did show it as Casual.

1 Like

The system will vote that the observation is not wild/naturalized if there are at least 10 other observations of a genus or lower in the smallest county-, state-, or country-equivalent place that contains this observation and 80% or more of those observations have been marked as not wild/naturalized. (https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/help#quality)

I’m not sure if it’s necessarily a bug, it just might take a moment for everything to show up. I guess you could say we shouldn’t show an observation until the system has a chance to cast a vote or not, but I’m not sure it’s worth making a change for.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s very important, but it confused me enough that I was about to make a forum topic asking why the ID of Domestic Dog caused it to become Casual without a DQA vote. At the last minute I saw that it was then showing the vote, so I added that information and made this topic. I don’t really know what you mean by

but I think maybe you shouldn’t show the Casual label until it’s clear where it came from.

2 Likes

Heavier traffic on iNat this weekend with the Southern Bioblitz?

1 Like

Looks like overall obs actually went down a bit during the GSB although the number of total GSB obs this year doubled last year’s which is great!

Slowdowns are usually due to people making or editing large places or generating large CSV exports.

2 Likes