"Observations" tab linking to "Your Observations" instead?

I’m not sure if this is a bug or an intended change, but…

…is anyone else unable to access the list format observations (normally) opened through this: image
and instead getting the same thing as if you’d clicked this: image

The first one has the more complex search functions, which I don’t think you can open on the YO tab. :sweat:

If anyone knows another way to access those, I would appreciate it a ton!

1 Like

Yes, it works like that for me too. Looks like a bug. Also that link opens only verifiable obs while the link itself doesn’t say so.

1 Like

It’s not a bug, it’s a way to direct people to Explore, which is significantly newer and faster and, aside from batch editing, has all of the same functionality as the page to which you’re referring. If there’s a specific search you’re not able to do, let us know. Here’s an intro to the explore page.

You can still always reach https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/artemesia by going to the user menu (upper right, where your icon is), and choose Edit Observations.

EDIT

And clicking on Edit Observations in the Dashboard, as @draposo79 pointed out below.

4 Likes

The information that used to appear in the Observations tab, is here now:

How to search for a specific taxon?

1 Like

In the Species search field:

eg:

Ok, I was complicating things… Thanks.

Thank you! Batch editing is the only thing this page was used for. ':D

1 Like

There’s some redundancy between those tabs and the top navigation bar. And with the addition of this new item “Edit Observations”, the tabs now occupy two rows in some languages (Bulgarian here):

But yeah, my screen is small - 1280 px wide.

5 Likes

Yes, I am getting the same change - afraid I do not like it at all and far prefer it as it was. However, I can still get there by editing the URL - if you get a URL like the following “https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?user_id=stevemcbill” then edit it to read “https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/stevemcbill” - where the user name stevemcbill is changed to your own user name of course.

4 Likes

Gotcha, thank you for the response!

1 Like

I noticed this too and was a little puzzled why there were 2 “Your Observation” tabs. However, I really like the ability to go to another user’s observations directly from their profile.

1 Like

I thought you already could do that, via the existing Observations link on their profile page?

Nah, it opened that weird older version, similar to one that allowed batch editing, to see a normal page without microscopic previews I had to copy account name and paste it in the link of my own observation page, I didn’t find the other way.

1 Like

Yeah, but it still allowed you to see their observations (even if it was a different layout), which was the point I was addressing.

Oh, I though maybe that’s what @thomaseverest meant, at least I’m very happy with that change! :)

I was reading his statement very literally. :woman_shrugging:

It could be that he meant it like you thought.

1 Like

Yes, I should’ve been more clear. I like the ability to see other users’ observations and search them, i.e. with Explore. The old tab was largely unhelpful.

2 Likes

Ah, I see.

I agree that the new search is nice; I just wish it defaulted to verifiable = any.

I don’t usually filter on observation pages, so I don’t use the search.

What I do usually do, when I go to a user’s observations, is look for observations that need something: Mostly old unknowns (where the search is useful, I’ll admit), but also for those missing info like date and location.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to find out that observations was now filtering on verifiable (literally, just this week), so it’s very likely I missed letting someone know that the reason one of their observations wasn’t getting any attention was because the date or location didn’t upload.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.