Order of annotations inconsistent

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): website

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings):

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Brave

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: Open an ob

Step 2: Check what order the annotations are in

Step 3: Discover that it is sometimes:
Life Stage | Sex | Dead or Alive OR
Life Stage | Dead or Alive | Sex


Interestingly, when I added a new ID to an ob, the order of annotations changed on this ob - https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/42161834 but it didn’t on the first ob listed above.

1 Like

The same thing happens to me with the annotations of plant phenology, it is annoying because sometimes I end up marking the sex by accident


Not a bug, the populated annotations should be at the top.

1 Like

The annotations are in different orders before they’re annotated, and if Life Stage is then added, the other two sometimes switch places without having any values.


Well, I agree with @nicolasr, it makes it harder to annotate and more likely to mark the wrong thing if the order changes.


image image
Certainly it is a bug, annotations swap places all the time since dead/alive was added.


I’ve found the order can vary on my observations when all the fields are empty. I’ve also seen populated annotations shown split between being at the top and bottom (empty in the middle) or in the middle and at the bottom while the top is empty.

An example of the former:

An example of the latter: