Photos failing to upload

Platform: Website on internet while using a Dell Windows based computer.

Browser: Chrome

URLs:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/48398662
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/48398661

Screenshots: I’m unable to upload photos to this website so I cannot upload a screenshot here. Basically, the observations upload without photos. But if I try to upload photos, I just see the little circle moving as if the photos are trying to upload, but they never do (with one recent exception).

Description of problem:

Step 1: Click upload.
Step 2: Click choose files and then select photos.
Step 3: Add species name and data; check GPS location.
Step 4: Click submit X observations.
Step 5: Wait. The observations will generally not upload with photos attached (I have a few thousand observations so this is a new problem with no change in equipment (camera/computer/wire)). The data uploads, but not the photos. I have…
Step 6: Tried to load new observations with the same photos. Fails again.
Step 7: Tried to add photos to these two observations after the observations were posted. Fails.
Step 8: Tried to upload different photos. No such luck.
Step 9: Other types of software for other websites are allowing me to upload photos.

2 Likes

Photos could be too large for iNat, what is their size?
Also first link has a photo.

2 Likes

since you’re using the website, you could try opening up developer tools in your browser to see if any errors are logged in the console during a failed upload. that would help to troubleshoot.

the other thing you could do is to either make the original photos available in a cloud file share (ex. Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.) or else send the photos to help@inaturalist.org so that the staff can actually attempt to reproduce the error themselves.

without seeing the errors or reproducing the problem, it will probably be very difficult to help you.

2 Likes

@Sedgehead yes, as @pisum said, without being able to replicate exactly what you’re doing and seeig any errors int eh console, it will be difficult for us to investigate this bug.

One more question: have you recently changed your router, internet service provider, or anything else related to your internet connection, like a firewall or VPN?

As far as I know I had not changed anything. However, later the same problem cropped up on other websites; photos not loading. I had previous rebooted my computer, but this time I rebooted my router. That cured the problem and I’ve uploaded many observations in the last week successfully with no problems.

The same problem cropped up on other websites; photos not loading. I had previous rebooted my computer, but this time I rebooted my router. That cured the problem and I’ve uploaded many observations in the last week successfully with no problems.

@fffffffff Rebooting my router cured the problem.

1 Like

Thanks for the follow-up @sedgehead, I’m glad it’s working now.