"Places" function when editing taxon names disadvantages native and lesser-used names

This function when changing taxon names seems to do very little other than add a tiny note to the taxon page with AKA “…”, or the name in brackets when it is specifically searched for (as far as I know). This impacts taxon names in widespread languages such as English, because it is spoken in hugely populous places such as the USA but also, in very different, far less populated places such as New Zealand. This means we get lots of “Americanization” of common names that we use, because when people look for these plants on iNat they get a huge sign saying, for example, Chinese Gooseberry, and only a small note under it or in brackets saying (kiwifruit) - which to me almost implies the name we use is incorrect when I see them. This also applies to names in several languages - for example giving place priority to native names in New Zealand’s native language (Māori) does not actually give it priority over the English, which makes no sense when the Māori names for many native taxon are far more common among English and Māori speakers alike - For example Dacrycarpus dacrydioides is almost exclusively known to Māori and English speakers as the Māori word: Kahikatea. But in order to have the name show up to English speakers in New Zealand as this, the name must be added as an English name - and the English name given priority. The main issue is that this means lesser-used and native names are disadvantaged, learned less, or in cases of names like Mānuka - used incorrectly as they are assumed not to be native. I believe it would be better if this function edited names the way reordering the global language default does, but just for the areas that are listed in the Places function.

Can you provide a screenshot of what you’re seeing, as well as of your names settings? If I choose these names settings:

I see this for Actinidia chinensis:

For Dacrycarpus dacrydioides, I see:

1 Like

Here are my language settings

And here is what I get for both spp:

I think the “Same as locale” is causing the “AKA” name to appear. There is no locale for New Zealand, so I think it’s just “English” for that one.

1 Like

Ah that changes it. Glad to see that place priority does way more than I thought - thanks for that.

3 Likes