Regional site language settings such as French (Canada) and English (UK) don't affect common name priority within a place like their generic counterparts français and English do

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): website

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Firefox and Chrome

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: any taxon with both French and English names set to Canada, on its taxon page, on observations, and in explore/identify; see some examples below

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

1. Find a taxon with both English and French names prioritized for Canada, with the English name having higher priority, such as Mergus merganser, Tyrannus dominicensis, Dumetella carolinensis, Acer negundo, etc.
  2. Go to settings. Under content & display settings, prioritize common names used in Canada, and under account settings, set your site language to français, then return to the taxon page. The highest-ranked French name set to Canada will display as the default, regardless of its priority relative to the English name.
  3. Keep common names used in Canada prioritized, but change your site language to French (Canada): now the highest-ranked common name in any language set to Canada—which in these cases is the English name—will be the default common name on the taxon page, in explore/identify, on observations, etc. (The French name does display in “behind-the-scenes” places like manage names, though.)
  4. Now find another taxon with both English and French names prioritized for Canada, but this time with the French name having higher priority, such as Rubus idaeus, Lycogala epidendrum, Mycena leaiana, or Salix discolor.
  5. Keep Canadian common names prioritized, and set site language to English: the highest-ranked English name set to Canada will display as the default.
  6. Keep Canadian common names prioritized, and set site language to English (UK): the highest-ranked common name in any language set to Canada (i.e., the French name) will display as the default (except again in manage names, taxonomy details, etc., where the English name is prioritized).
2 Likes

I don’t think this is a bug. Both French (Canada) and English (UK) are their own separate lexicons from French and English. In numbers 3 and 6 from your post, none of the Canadian names are linked to French (Canada) and English (UK) so iNat is showing you the top ranked name for Canada.

I’m seeing something similar. My account is definitely set for English / Canada (double checked!), but I’m suddenly seeing the French / Canada name prioritized above the English / Canada name for Rubus idaeus. I’m not seeing it for any other species, but I suspect that it’s because the English regional name has higher priority than any French regional name. In every instance I checked, an English name had the higher priority; probably not surprising given probably far more North American Anglophones are on iNat. Hence Rubus idaeus is being listed as Framboisier on the taxon page and elsewhere, and not as Red Raspberry because the French regional name for Canada has higher priority.

Screenshots:

red-raspberry-01

There was mention recently of changes to how names are prioritized, so perhaps that did something: