Parsing species names is failing

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): website

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About):

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Chrome Version 115.0.5790.170 (Official Build) (x86_64)
Same failure with Safari Version 14.1.2 (14611.3.10.1.7) (Mac)

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.): After finishing its upload of metadata on batches of observations, the uploader is failing to parse species names which are part of the filename. This was a much-appreciated feature in recent years which has saved countless hours of typing. E. g.,
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/parsing-identifications-from-file-name/8183

Step 1: Drag and drop images to the upload page. Each image file has a Latin species name as part of the filename.

Step 2: Wait for metadata upload to be completed.

Step 3: Species names fail to be displayed; the species name field remains blank.

what are some of the filenames that you used? when i tested just now, i had no problem getting the taxon pre-populated based on a scientific name within the filename of the uploaded image file:

I sometimes have this issue. In my case it often seems to be related to connection speed and packet loss, between my ISP and the iNat server, not iNat itself or the files.

For the set of four examples above (a test upload), the file names are, from L to R:
Anavitrinella addendaria_2989
Biston betularia_3103
Boarmiini_3075
Caberini_2986

The issue has continued for me for dozens more uploads–no species names parsed from filenames such as these.

I should mention that I’m doing one small step in my upload process slightly differently than in the past. Previously I was exporting such files from iPhoto to a separate uploads folder on my Mac desktop, then dragging and dropping the files onto iNat’s upload page from that folder. With these recent uploads, I am dragging and dropping directly from within the iPhoto image collection. My next step will be to go back to my old way of using an intermediate uploads folder. I’ll advise on the outcome of that test.

i don’t have any problems loading using your filenames. so drag and drop from iPhoto seems to be the likeliest factor that leads to the problem. it may be worth looking at the photo page of one of your photos uploaded via your new method to see what is the filename recorded there. (it’s possible that the filename that you get when you drag and drop from iPhoto does not reflect the actual filename of the underlying file.)

other than that, this seems to be the best guidance for now:

3 Likes

That seems to be the issue. The filenames of those images dragged directly from iPhoto have only the default prefix “IMG_” whereas those that have been exported in that intermediate step are tagged with the species name, which is subsequently parsed properly. So it’s back to the old “Texas Two-Step” process for me!

2 Likes

i’m not a Mac user, but from what i gather from this discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7038242, it seems like you can’t actually change the filename from iPhoto / Photos. instead, the title field shows the filename by default, and if you change that, you’re actually changing the title of the photo, not the underlying filename.

however, based on this: https://support.apple.com/guide/photos/add-titles-captions-and-more-phta4e5a733f/mac, it looks like you might be able to add some keyword tags, and i wonder if by adding a taxon name as a keyword, you can get that tag to translate into a taxon name when you upload in iNat?

I think you are correct that on my Mac, I can’t actually change the original filename. However, both on the desktop display of images and for export purposes, I can use the “title” I give each image. I should have clarified that the “filenames” I listed above are actually–in Mac terms–my titles of the images. Those are what I export to my intermediate uploads folder and those are properly parsed by iNat.

This topic was automatically closed after 16 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Website

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Google Chrome (Mac), Version 103.0.5060.134 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Description of problem: I’ve noticed a slight difference in the way iNat’s uploader parses (or doesn’t parse) species names from files based on two slightly different methods of uploading from my Mac. I’m wondering why there is a difference. In both cases described below, images have a Genus-species name in the filename (e.g. Digrammia atrofasciata_1234) and have keywords which include “moth” and a moth family name (e.g., Geometridae) as keywords. All photo editing and file naming is done in my old iPhoto 9.6.1 software on a MacBook Air running OS 10.11.6 (El Capitan). Uploads to iNat are typically done in bulk on the Upload page by dragging and dropping from one of two local locations:

Pathway 1: IF I export the files from iPhoto to an intermediate folder and then upload to iNat from that folder, the filename is properly parsed as a species ID (=> Digrammia atrofasciata). All keywords are read properly and added as tags in iNat.

Pathway 2: IF I skip the exporting step and drag and drop the same image(s) directly from iPhoto (in the Events or Photos view), filenames are not parsed at all and typically a moth family name (derived from one of my keywords) is parsed and inserted as an ID. The keywords themselves are again added as tags. The annoyance in this 2nd upload pathway is that, although it avoids the intermediate step of exporting to a separate folder, it fails to parse the species names that I have added to the files. I thereafter have to delete the moth famly name added by iNat as an ID before manually entering the species ID for each observation.

This is a minor inconvenience, but I’m just curious why the uploading behavior differs in the two pathways.

@gcwarbler I moved your post to this existing topic. It sounds like your issue is the same as before, right?

1 Like

Sorry, @jwidness. I forgot that I had brought this issue up last year.

Not a problem, but unfortunately I don’t think we can provide any more help than last time.

Check the photo page of a pathway 2 observation. Does it show the expected original filename?

1 Like

That’s a good cross-check, Martin. The observation below was uploaded under the iPhoto image title “Podabrus_6027” (and ID was subsequently corrected by Mike Quinn to Ditemnus perforatus), but the uploader brought it in with its original filename “IMG_6027”. So the “titles” from iPhoto (and probably Photos) are not parsed when dragging and dropping directly from within the app. But when exporting from iPhotos to a separate folder, the app allows me to export with the “title” or “filename” and I invariably choose the former. That option apparently establishes the “filename” for iNat uploader purposes. It’s just an annoying quirk of the interaction of the Mac programs and the iNat uploader process that I’ll have to live with.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 19 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.