Questions about the translation process / tool (CrowdIn)

In addition to contextual informations, a key to translation quality is having a glossary with the translations of the keywords or most common expressions, so that they don’t get translated differently in successive translation projects.

I switched my profile settings to English only (for better communication about the UI in the forum), so I don’t know anymore with certainty how it is translated in French. (And anyway, switching to French would still not give me the English and French together, except if I switch many times).

1. Is it possible to have a glossary in CrowdIn?
    This would mean that, in the screen below, the tool would tell me, directly in this page for translating “%{count} life list first”, how “life list” SHALL be translated in French.
    Because “life list” is obviously an iNaturalist glossary entry. I shall not decide now how to translate it, just for this particular “%{count} life list first” expression. (This is just an example).
    Or shall I rely on the “TM AND MT SUGGESTIONS”? But a glossary is not a suggestion, it is a reference and respecting it is mandatory.

2. May I get an export of all texts previously translated, in English and French?
    A full text export would be much easy to use that any online tool.
    This would provide me a glossary (assuming that all translations are consistent with each other), using this export as an iNaturalist dictionary.

3. I would be glad to review them all and make them all consistent with each other.
    Would you be able to upload my corrections, done directly in the export, for review by other French translators and future integration?

Is it possible to have a glossary in CrowdIn?

Crowdin has a glossary feature, and I’ve been adding to it as questions come up about specific terms. However, I had not turned on the feature that allows translators to translate the glossary itself, which I think is the only way to achieve what you’re going for here, i.e. a single place to decide how certain terms get translated (e.g. “observation,” “taxon,” “Community Taxon,” etc.). I just did that, and I also assigned the web project’s glossary to the mobile project. You’ll notice it while translating by seeing underlined terms in the source text that you can hover over to see the glossary definition. If you find terms that you think should be added to the glossary, please comment on those translations in Crowdin or message me.

May I get an export of all texts previously translated, in English and French?

You can download all the translation files at https://crowdin.com/project/inaturalistweb by clicking the download button in the upper right (looks like an arrow pointing into a box). You can download specific languages by clicking into them, e.g. https://crowdin.com/project/inaturalistweb/fr.

I would be glad to review them all and make them all consistent with each other.
Would you be able to upload my corrections, done directly in the export, for review by other French translators and future integration?

Thanks, but the best way to help is to just use Crowdin, not to download the files, translate them, and send them to us. We already have protocols and code in place for using Crowdin, and other protocols are just going to make things more complicated. If you’d like to be a proofreader for French on Crowdin, please add more translations so those of us on staff can see that you understand the system and can get along with the other translators.

5 Likes

Thank you! I didn’t notice, I will pay attention next time.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.