Search for a species in Seek

As far as I can tell, there is no way to simply search for a species in Seek. There’s a search bar for observations, but I have to have already gotten the ID to find the species that way. I often want to look for species that I haven’t yet encountered. Add a search bar!

Hi @jennyfey, I’m copying the text from your other feature request below. I think if they do add a species search, it would make sense at the same time to also include the taxonomy, similar to what is done in the main iNaturalist app.

@jennyfey: When I’m looking at a species, the app offers me “similar species” to peruse below, but these are often not related closely taxonomically. Not sure what makes them “similar” actually. Sometimes I am looking at an animal and the app is not able to give me an ID but I know it’s, say, a sparrow. Being able to look through all the sparrows and learn about their differences would be a huge benefit!

As far as that “Similar Species” section, I believe it pulls from observations that have been identified as both the species in question and the ones in that list. For example if you are looking at a monarch butterfly on Seek, the viceroy and queen butterflies show up as “similar species” because these are commonly confused on iNaturalist. (and iNaturalist/Seek doesn’t describe the differences between organisms, but often the accompanying Wikipedia page will.)

Let me know if I’m misunderstanding the request. :) Thanks!