Sedge observations showing up in Orchid queries

Platform: Website

Browser: Chrome

URLs: Various

Screenshots of what you are seeing:

Description of problem: Carex (sedge) observations are showing up in queries for orchids. Alas, carex aren’t orchids! :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face:

Step 1: For example, query “Orchids” in Texas, and filter for “Needs Review.”

Step 2: Look at all the Carex (sedge) observations showing up (along with the Orchid observations).

Note: Orchid observations significantly outnumber Carex observations, so depending on the query, sometimes you have to scroll through a few pages to find some Carex.

The issue is also occurring, for example:

• When one filters for “United States” instead of “Texas”
  • When one filters for “Research Grade” and/or simultaneously “Verifiable”

I’m seeing at least C. lupulina, C. lupuliformis, and C. louisianica - that’s the whole Complex Carex lupulina. I’ve also seen one “Complex Carex lupulina” - I don’t know if the bug is going further up the sedge taxonomy chain or not.

Good luck!

2 Likes

this is an indexing issue reflecting a prior ancestry of the Carex lupulina complex: when the complex was created, it was briefly grafted to Bulbophyllum sect. Lupulina by accident, before being regrafted to Carex sect. Lupulinae. i’ve forced a reindex of the observations of the Carex species involved, which seems to have fixed the problem.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.