Map on taxon page sometimes shows observations of wrong taxon

I have noticed a weird behavior, not really a problem:

While exploring the map view on the taxon page, several times i have found that when I click on an observation it shows an observation of a different taxon. The unexpected result has always been another species in the same genus (so far), and refreshing the page seems to clear out the error so clicking on the marker brings up a different observation of the correct species.

can you reliably reproduce the problem? i was looking for that specific C. thyrsiflorus observation by jdowning, and i can’t find it or anything like it. maybe it was temporarily identified as C. velutinus and then changed to C. thyrsiflorus while you were looking at the map?

It’s this one, but its updated_at date is May 13th, 2019. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/24633021

2 Likes

thanks… i always forget that the Explore page filters out casual observations…

UPDATE: it doesn’t look like that particular observation has changed taxon. so that invalidates my earlier hypothesis. i can’t reproduce the problem myself though. so i don’t know how to dig into this any deeper.

1 Like

I cannot reliably reproduce the problem, but it showed up several times when I was checking at least 2 different species of Ceanothus. Also, there were multiple observations of the wrong species showing up on the map, it was not always the same observation.

1 Like

hmmm… if you’re checking 2 species, are you pulling up the 2 species on 2 different tabs in your browser, or are you viewing them one at a time in a single tab?

1 Like

I was looking at them one at a time - first looking at C. cordulatus, then C. cuneatus, and so on. Noticed the bug but just thought it was a glitch, then a while later it happened again, and I grabbed a screen capture. But I have not seen it in the last few days, it may have been an ephemeral issue.

2 Likes

ok. i think i see what’s happening now. suppose you do the following:

1. open the taxon page for Ceanothus thyrsiflorus
  2. look at the map tab, and click on one of the markers to open a pop-up that shows some details for a specific observation.
  3. without closing the pop-up, go to the taxonomy tab and navigate to Ceanothus velutinus.
  4. now go back to the map tab. it should now show a map for Ceanothus velutinus, but the pop-up from #2 should still be open.

so if that replicates the problem that you noticed, the issue here isn’t that clicking on a marker on the C. velutinus map brings up an observation for C. thyrsiflorus. rather, it’s simply that the pop-up from the previous map is still open. if you close it and click on a marker in the same spot, i think you should get a pop-up for a C. velutinus observation. so to fix this problem, the page would just need to close any pop-ups on the map before reloading the map with stuff for a new taxon.

1 Like

The steps you describe do keep a pop-up open as you say. But that is not what happened when I got the unexpected species pop-up - I had not looked at C. thyrsiflorus before going to the C. velutinous page, and there were no pop-ups open before I clicked on that observation.

Not really a big deal in any case, just a weird event.

2 Likes