Seek app behaves in a confusing manner when access to photos is turned off. (Iphone)

Apologies if this doesn’t qualify as a bug but I think it does.
My friend has been really into the seek app lately. Recently she got a new iphone and told me seek was broken and asked me to look at it. It allowed me to scan for IDs but once I took a photo the screen hung with the photo there… but the algorithm kept scanning. I hit the photo button on a lilac and the lilac remained in the photo but as moved the phone around it was saying “dicots” and apparently trying to identify more stuff even though it wasn’t on the screen.

I thought the app was totally broken but eventually figured out she had accidentally denied access to the photos app. The behavior I’d expect would be a pop up telling me I couldn’t save a species list without access to the photos, or else to have the button gone entirely so I can scan but not try to take photos. Instead it basically just freezes up.

1 Like

Is she using Android or iOS?

Charlie has “iPhone” at the end of the title, so presumably iOS

1 Like

(Facepalm)

2 Likes

Tried to replicate on my iPhone XS, with Seek version 2.2.0 (38) and couldn’t do so. After I took the photo, the camera view closed and I identified the species. I then got a pop up saying I needed to allow Seek to access my location in order to save the observation.

@charlie do you know which phone she was using?

1 Like

I don’t but will ask her. It was a new one and way newer than mine. May have just been a fluke.

Fwiw I don’t think she had location services turned off just access to the photos.

1 Like

Ah OK, I can replicate with photo access turned off. I’ll file an issue.

I kinda like the surreality here.

2 Likes

This should be fixed now:

2 Likes