Seek by iNaturalist freezes on iPhone 11

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): iphone 11

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): don’t know; recent

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : don’t know

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/): after 6 or so photos and identifications, app freezes and grays out on page with camera icon

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.): I have no idea; take 6 or so photos and see what happens. I’ve used app twice and it’s happened both times

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Welcome to the forum JimB!

In my experience the Seek app is buggy in a lot of ways; this being one of them. When/if I use it, I oftentimes usually just try to get a rough ID and then switch to the iNat app to record the observation. Otherwise I’ll observe the organism with Seek and then close and reopen the app for the next one. Usually there is the freezing issue, but beyond that in my experience, I have only been able to have the option of ‘Upload to iNaturalist’ on the first confirmed species when using Seek. There is also the issue of geography not consistently recognized…

It is still a cool tool, but some kinks to iron out for sure… Albeit, a pretty tremendous undertaking.

iOS on my side too.

I’m not able to replicate on my iPhone13 Pro, but it’s difficult without really specific details, like:

• are you importing photos or taking photos with the camera?
  • are you uploading observations to inaturalist?
  • are your photos getting identified to species and thus saved in Seek?
  • which version of iOS is your device running?
  • how many observations you have saved in Seek

Best would be a screen recording your use before triggering the crash. Here’s how to record the screen of your iPhone: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207935 You can send videos to help@inaturalist.org.

Taking photos with camera;
no uploading happening;
most are ID’d, yes;
iOS 15.4 of iPhone 11;
I don’t try to save anything - am just looking for IDs. That said, I’ve taken maybe 12 photos.
Thanks.

1 Like