Share links to taxon pages from the mobile app, similar to sharing observations

Platform(s), such as mobile, website, API, other: Android

URLs (aka web addresses) of any pages, if relevant:

Description of need:
Currently Android users can tap the Share icon on individual observations’ photo field to share the link, share the location, or view in a web browser. However, there isn’t a way to do this with taxon pages. For example, if I want to share a specific observation of Camponotus, I can do that within the app. If I want to share a link to the Camponotus taxon page, I can’t—I have to do it entirely through a web browser.

When linking to iNaturalist from other sites/apps/platforms, it is often more useful to share taxon pages rather than individual observations. (For example, if I want to give someone more information about Araneidae in general, rather than a particular Neoscona hentzi seen in Florida in 2013.) Sure, I could just link a Wikipedia article, but taxon pages are better in some contexts because a) not all taxa have Wikipedia pages, and 2) iNat taxon pages include not just the text of the Wikipedia article, but also a photo gallery that shows the diversity of the taxon, an up-to-date range map, and other data.
Feature request details:
Taxon pages should have a Share icon that gives the option to share the link or open the page in a web browser. (Obviously, sharing location is not applicable here.)

Screenshot of what an observation looks like in the app, with Share icon circled in green.

Mockup of what the corresponding taxon page could look like, with potential locations for Share icon circled in purple and green. Green is consistent with the observation icon location but is potentially confusing (does it share the taxon page or that specific photo?) whereas purple is in a different location but is less ambiguous. If the inconsistent icon position is an issue, perhaps the observation Share icon could be moved to the top bar alongside the edit button and “…” menu.

You can select this and then copy the link. Not the best but a good workaround.

3 Likes

Thanks! Could be much better but at least it’s an option.

1 Like