Sharing observations with a link

My question is a follow-on from the topic at https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/2-in-1-1-open-urls-in-app-2-share-button-in-app/8486 but that is now closed.

Using the share button on an observation gives options to share on various social media, but doesn’t give the option of copying the link, although I’m sure it used to be there. Am I looking in the wrong place?

1 Like

You should be able to copy the URL of the observation. Here’s how to do it in iOS (I’ve covered up my contacts’ names):

1 Like

It’s there in Android too. Plus there is the “open on inaturalist.org” link too then you can grab the url from your web browser.

Link copying in Android:

The next screen may vary for you, but my top option copies the link:

1 Like

No longer there for me among the options on Pixel 3 / Android 10:

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses. I can use the “open in inaturalist.org” link and copy the url, but there’s not an option in the app to copy the link. This is what I see on Android 10:

1 Like

What does tapping on “Link sharing” do?

1 Like

Link sharing is a Galaxy service to share files.

3 Likes

Pardon me if these are unrelated, but Android 10 may be changing the way the share menu works involving something called a share sheet. There is also new code around new restrictions to access to the clipboard. If not related to Android 10, then perhaps to an issue with copy to clipboard disappearing as reported on a Samsung unit back in 2018. I am in Android 9 on a Motorola Moto G7, so perhaps the issue is specific to Android 10.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m out of my depth with understanding all of them, but I don’t think it can be related to the Chrome issue because I’m using the app. The second one is about sharing links across devices, which I didn’t know could be done. The problem could be related to Android 10 because I’m sure the option was there on my previous phone, but the ‘copy link’ option is available when using the share button in other apps. It just seems to be iNaturalist that doesn’t show it. I’ll try reporting it as a bug.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.