Some moth memes I made

One of my favourites. Incidentally, papillons de nuit is French for moth. Papillon translates as butterfly.

11 Likes

Just fyi all tortoises are turtles - they aren’t separate groups. Tortoises are nested inside turtles. All the species that have common names that include “tortoise” also aren’t necessarily monophyletic.

6 Likes

I have a YouTube channel where I post slideshows of plants & critters. My sister-in-law told me that I should make one called “Christmas with Moths” so I did. :smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFEAnIQiD0&t=5s

3 Likes

Yes, butterflies are a subclade of moths… so butterflies ARE a subset of moths but all moths are certainly NOT a subset of butterflies! That would be like saying all apes are humans, when humans are simply a subset of apes. Huge difference and not a nitpick when it comes to nested taxonomy.

6 Likes

Seems appropriate.

6 Likes

And in some languages, I believe, damselflies are included as dragonflies although we separate them in English and the two groups do represent different suborders of Odonata.

I suppose moths could be considered butterflies (sensu lato) but maybe not butterflies (sensu stricto). Or the reverse. I’m no lepidopterist … they’re all flutterbys to me. ;-)

1 Like

not related to moths but i have never seen someone use the contraction of “they are” like this lol. interesting :)

Sorry, I was lazy to correct it, though I don’t know what is interesting about a mistake.

4 Likes

Relatedly, I’ve spent time on spitting the Superfamily butterflies out of the Order Lepidoptera adults general category. What I notice is that any person beyond novice may be able to help with some of the other Superfamilies in adults (or larva or pupa or egg), because there are a ton of excellent/easy photos in there.

Otherwise, I’ll get to the other ones later. But I’m currently a novice. That “Is this a butterfly” meme guy is me daily. ;)

Edit: Example view where I would also add a creation date starting time to shave off some “picked over” old years:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?page=100&per_page=45&order=asc&hrank=order&lrank=order&taxon_id=47157&term_id=1&term_value_id=2

1 Like

it’s still the same two words, just contracted. not necessarily wrong, just awkward phrasing i suppose. i always think it’s interesting to see things like that because it reminds me of how different contracted words sound when they’re not used in contexts we’re used to. that’s all i meant!

1 Like

I also found it interesting. I remember back in the 80s I was at university with a guy from Northern Ireland, who introduced me to the contraction “amn’t” (am not). It made perfect sense, but I was quite perplexed when I heard it for the first time.

4 Likes

I think that our argument is mainly linguistic: in some languages, there are separate words for butterfly and moth, in other languages, not.

In Spanish, there is the word polilla for moth; but some dictionaries note that this is specifically the clothes moth, Tineola bisselliella. In common usage, I have seen large, conspicuous moths referred to in Spanish as mariposa nocturna, which means nocturnal butterfly.

I rather like the parallelism in Láadan: the butterfly is áalaá, the moth is óoloó. This gives both words the same basic structure, as the insects have the same basic structure; the word is actually shaped like the insect, with the “l” forming the body and the symmetrical vowels, the wings; and the word for moth also echoes óol, which means moon.

4 Likes

In Italian, the common name for butterfly is “farfalla”, for moth generally is “falena”.

2 Likes

We usually don’t use the contraction without a complement. Example:
What are those?
They’re moths.
They are? That’s interesting!

I agree, and if you look up “polilla” in the Spanish version of Wikipedia, it says “La palabra polilla designa primariamente en [castellano] a diversos [insectos] que proliferan en algunos alimentos o bienes materiales importantes en el hogar como la ropa o los muebles.” (Rough translation: The word “polilla” mainly refers to various insects that proliferate in some foods or materials in the home, like clothes or furniture.) It then goes on to discuss its use for Lepidoptera, mentioning the non-taxonomic group Heterocera.
I once heard a friend explain that “la polilla” had destroyed all the wood trim in the interior of their house (in El Salvador). I think she was referring to termites.
So I prefer to use “mariposa nocturna” to refer to moths.

3 Likes

I know, it shouldn’t be short on it’s own, but sometimes even when I feel something is wrong, I don’t care, because my point was a Saturniid is a butterfly because it’s Lepidoptera, not because it’s in Papilionoidea, but explaining it three times wasn’t successful and I gave up.

4 Likes

Just as it is true that all tortoises are turtles, but not all turtles are tortoises, it could be argued that all butterflies are moths (NOT the reverse) but not all moths are butterflies. The ancestors of butterflies are moths–moths came first in the Lepidoptera. The historical lineage of moths (and the Lepidoptera) dates back at least 220 million years and may go back 300 millions years to the Carboniferous. The ancestors of butterflies diverged from the moth lineage only 100 million years ago. Today the known named species in the Lepidoptera number about 160,000 species in the world. Of that number, only about 8% are classified as butterflies.

3 Likes

And to @lisapaloma . I do not believe English is Marina’s first language. Keep in mind that this is an international forum, and many people are not native English speakers. The vagaries of the English language seem to confuse many native English speakers. Please avoid criticisms of language construction when responding - respond to the general thrust of the statement. I regularly use Google Translate (and my own petit peus Francais) to reply to French colleagues, and none have complained about the way things are phrased. Thanks.

6 Likes

Then there were the kids I knew growing up, at least some of whom insisted that the cabbage white was a moth because it wasn’t colorful.

1 Like

Our point is that in English the only Lepidoptera called butterflies are ones in Papilionoidea. All others are called moths. Ways of separating Lepidoptera into different groups are different in other languages but the meme is in English so English rules apply.