Species count on 'Your Observations' page not increasing despite 'Calendar' life list firsts count increasing

Platform: Desktop

Browser: Firefox (main), Chrome (used to double-check)

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots of what you are seeing:

‘Your Observations’ page and calendar view from before my upload of this Heterolocha aristonaria

‘Your Observations’ page and calendar view from after my upload of this Heterolocha aristonaria

Description of problem:

Step 1: Upload observation (one jpeg).

Step 2: Add ‘adult’ and ‘organism’ annotations.

Step 3: Check ‘Your Observations’ page. Observation count increased by one while species count not increased by one.

Step 4: Check the specific date from the ‘Calendar’ page. Taxa count and observation count increased by one. ‘Life List Firsts’ count also increased by one with a listing of Heterolocha aristonaria added.

Step 5: Check Heterolocha aristonaria taxon page and ‘View Yours’ to see if it’s something that I’ve uploaded before. Confirm that the only observation listed from me is the one I’ve just uploaded.

Step 6: Ctrl-F5 to refresh the page (several times) with no change. Double-check on Chrome (not logged in) to confirm.

You already had some observations at the genus level and those were counting in the “Species” count (which doesn’t actually count species, it counts leaf taxa). So adding one observation in a species under a genus you already had doesn’t increase your number of leaf taxa.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reminder about the ‘species’ count actually recording leaf taxa – I had completely forgotten about that, as well as not realizing I had uploaded some Heterolocha observations in the past. Guess that explains everything.

1 Like