"Taxa curated" number lower than it should be

Not sure if this is related but my “taxa curated” seem to have permanently dropped by a factor of 3. Everything still adds up properly in terms of user “rank”, but the order would be the same if it had the old number so I’m not sure (and it changes so much it’s hard to compare). It might just be there was a change in how the parameter was calculated, and I had a disproportionate number of edits that are no longer counted. Not that it’s a competition or anything…

1 Like

(moved this to a separate bug report)

Another curator wrote in and noticed something similar. We’ll take a look.

1 Like

Doesn’t look like there have been any changes, although I guess it’s always possible. That page is pretty old and not something we do much with. “Taxa curated” is supposed to display how many taxa you updated, and that number looks correct. You’ve added 556+ taxa, though.

Ah and the added aren’t included in curated? I wonder if that’s a key difference. It would add up to what I was remembering before.

1 Like

Either way, this doesn’t appear to be a bug so I’m going to close this topic.

This started happening again. My taxa curated have been gradually dropping over the last few days (just by a few, though, not a big drop like last time). I’m not sure if this is also affecting other users or other stats. 399 was just a memorable number so I noticed that it’s lower now. Not really anything bothersome but seems a little strange. Adding a screenshot for reference to see if it changes again:
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 9.11.34 PM

Still not sure if this is an actual bug or not, but seems pretty weird.

There does seem to be a glitch - I disappeared completely from the stats page last week, and then reappeared today. Not sure about the numbers as I didn’t keep a record, but they seem lower

1 Like

That was reported separately: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/im-missing-from-the-curator-section-of-the-people-page/11392

Yes I hadn’t thought of these as related, but maybe this happens after a disappearance.

Just so I’m not crazy:

5/1/22
Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 3.38.33 PM

5/12/22
Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 1.13.06 PM

Are only active taxa counted, or something like that?

2 Likes

I wonder if the decrease is linked to when a taxon one has curated is subsequently recurated by another curator and then drops out of one’s own curation stats? Seems a bit of an unfair representation of the effort undertaken by any curator to have curation actions dropped in such a manner that does not reflect effort. This drop in taxa curated is something I have seen to the tune over over 1000 curation actions I’ve done over the years - I suspect especially on groups like Hesperiidae that I curated a decade ago have been updated by the hundred since, and the stats then shifted to the recurators.

1 Like

There are certainly some strange things that go on with the people page. Some days I am not there at all, some days I am.

3 Likes

Yes, that is an issue reported here:
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/im-missing-from-the-curator-section-of-the-people-page/11392

I’m seeing 756 today:

Have you checked this number recently?

that number was 759 a day or two ago, I remember seeing it

1 Like

I’ll set reminders to check it every day and see if I can see a pattern.

1 Like

It goes up and down. Today is 738. Is that what others are seeing?
Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 5.38.40 PM

I see 753 for you right now lol…

1 Like