Unexpected results from taxa/autocomplete

Platform ( Website):
Browser, (Any) :

*** BUG 3 (from https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/inexplicable-displays-on-status-tab-of-taxon-page/30981/3)
“Leucospermum hypophyllocarpodendron” is too long: if you put it in the ID box on an observation - iNat finds no matches, and suggests that you search the external name providers.
Fortunately, doing so does find the dictionary matches, rather than add duplicate names.
So not a crucial bug, just sometimes annoying. It appears that there is a limit and that this name exceeds that limit by two characters. (i.e. Leucospermum-hypophyllocarpodendr" does work OK).

I’m not having this issue… I tried doing exactly as you stated and it works fine for me.

Yes: this appears to have been fixed. Also the full name::
Leucospermum hypophyllocarpodendron hypophyllocarpodendron
now also works, which it did not when the bug was posted.

Guess it can be closed.

1 Like

I think there’s still a bug – name lookup succeeds on Leucospermum hypophyllocarpodendron but fails on Leucospermum hypophyllocarpodendro (missing the final letter).

1 Like

Oh, I guess so. It’s always been like that, I think, whenever I’m adding a bunch of names I need to get it exactly right, or else they don’t show up.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by exactly right, but the search works on “Leucospermum hypophyllocarpodendron” and “Leucospermum hypophyllocarpodendr” and “Leucospermum hypophyllocarpodend” and “Leucospermum hypophyllocarpoden”, etc. The only one it fails on is the one that is missing a single letter. That seems like a bug to me and I don’t think it’s been reported previously.

That does sound like a bug, though not exactly the same as the bug originally described here. Perhaps introduced when this bug was fixed?

The behavior is unchanged from two weeks ago when Tony first reported it. When I tried then, I could not replicate the initial report, i.e. the full name was working fine (the length limit is hard-coded at 1000 characters).

I changed the title of the bug report to make it a bit clearer.

1 Like

Weird. I made a bug report: https://github.com/inaturalist/inaturalist/issues/3434

1 Like

This has been a long-standing bug. I only bothered reporting on it because it happened to show up on the other bug I was reporting on.
I have never had this problem on any other species. As this is the longest species name (or amongst them), I just assumed that it was above the normal search limit. I only encounter it when I copy paste the name - usually I just use Leu hypo and it is found.
To make it work I always had to remove the last two letters. It thus seemed OK and I assumed that the search limit was 35 characters, which would cater for 99.9% of species names.

Could this be related to the projects search, where the penultimate also sometimes does not display: e.g. here: where only 1 project shows for 15 letters, but 2 show for 14 and 16 letters.
(but why the second shows up at all, is a bit of a mystery to me)

It still does not work:
if you type the name leucospermum hypophyllocarpoden
then you get 6 matches, if you add a letter (sequentially) then
adding d gets 6 matches
adding r gets 6 matches
adding o gets 0 matches
adding n gets 1 match - even though all 6 are valid matches.
adding “space” gets 0 matches (it should get 5 matches).