What's your personal record for # of header notifications?

When you log into your account on the website and have notifications of new activity, what’s that number in red? Do you ignore it and let it grow? What do you do? Will you screenshot it and share? (helpful screenshot instructions here)

My personal high is probably around 75, but I only have about 8K obs and 13K ids, have notifications for confirming IDs turned off, and am usually on iNaturalist several times a day. I don’t think I’ve ever broken 100 in the header. Anything over about 25 and I start getting anxious and try to open and clear them right away to minimize the risk of losing them all if I click in the wrong place before I open all the tabs.

Just curious to learn how others manage, because I know anecdotally that some people don’t use the red header notifications and I’ve seen that number in the thousands.

4 Likes

I nearly fainted one day when I logged on 8 hours since the previous visit and had 280+ notifications. :flushed: I always work through them one by one. In fact, it’s the first thing I do. I worry that I’ve lost a few, but I guess that happens. I like notifications, but 280+ is more than I care to deal with in one sitting! (I also have confirming IDs turned off.)

Thankfully I can still upload without removing the count.

5 Likes

I’ve never seen as many as you but I usually check them in case someone disagrees with an ID I provided. It’s my own QA/QC procedure to make sure I’m not providing bad IDs. I suspect the number could be high when I’m on vacation and not checking iNat, but I’m usually checking at least once a day…

1 Like

I think this was 1,730, in about 24h…

4 Likes

Yeah, a couple of weeks ago I lost about 60 out of 110 or so when I accidentally clicked out. It is rather unfortunate because there is no way to find these again in the timeline, especially if it was something I would have wanted to see or someone tagged me. I have wished for a long time that there could be a way of going thru these that you would not lose them if you clicked out accidentally.

8 Likes

I think my all-time record is over 200.

1 Like

I don’t remember my record, but I’ve definitely lost some with an accidental click before :/

When I find the number getting higher than I want to risk losing on the website, my trick is to use the app instead. I click through and clear the notifications that don’t need a response. Then I come back to the website to open the ones I actually want to look at in a browser. I still sometimes lose ones from a mis-click, but there are fewer to go through and so fewer chances to make a mistake.

3 Likes

I do this too! Works well when you get a lot of notifications on your own recently added content, but not for older stuff (when you get past practical scrolling volume) or other people’s observations.

2 Likes

I’m not entirely sure what you mean? The “Following” tab under “Activity” is where I’m going. It doesn’t show any notifications on my content, it’s just from other people’s observations.

I’ll start keeping track. 53 I think, 37 I know, but I check and clear several times a day.

Note: I had been working diligently at moving things from “life” everywhere and currently from “unknown” in my area.

1 Like

Ah, it’s an iOS/Android difference. iOS has only “My Content” and “News”.

2 Likes

Probably around 1500 unread notifications. I don’t use the web site header notification feature much. I just clicked on the red number of 609 and watched it load a long list of notifications and watched it drop the number to 409. There’s no way in that form I can digest 200 notifications suddenly considered to be cleared. My count goes over 1000 at times. It may be the occasionally misclick on the menu to the right that keeps my notification count from going higher.

I keep up with the dashboard on the web site instead. I wish I could mark a spot in the dashboard notifications that I’ve kept up with (like a bookmark in a book) and then have an option to start later where I left off. Most of keeping up is copying new identifications to my personal notes, which I work on every few days at best.

1 Like

I go crazy if it is higher than 100, since there are usually at least a few comments I need to respond to, or have input for. So I usually try and clear them out daily.

2 Likes

I think all the notifications can be seen through the dashboard, you just have to page through several times to get to that point.

4 Likes

I think my most was around 170? I had been away for a week with no internet, so that could explain it :)
My most on an average day was probably about 70.

1 Like

I had almost 800 notifications one morning when I logged on, so if I didn’t respond to someone’s comment that day sorry! :)

3 Likes

I think my record rate was 100 in the span of maybe 8 hours, and I go through updates (at least) daily. I’m rather frequently in the 40-60 range (not counting any notifications by Gerald, the apparent new site mascot with the identity crisis). I try to respond to (or at least verify) most, though I know I’ve had a few slip through the cracks (@-mentions that I’ve incidentally stumbled upon most of a year later - oops!).

3 Likes

130 ish (that I can remember). Have “lost” large numbers many times.

2 Likes

About 300, after a week without iNaturalist.

2 Likes

Just a reminder to anyone wanting to delve into a broader suggestion-based discussion about notifications that falls outside of this particular conversation:

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/notifications-on-inaturalist-please-share-your-ideas/374/53

I think I haven’t personally broken 100 on my red bubble of joy drop-down but I think that’s more reflective of my compulsive checking rather than my activity :) I still have a small number of obs and IDs for others so I aspire to have an impossible number to check on! I also use the app trick to clear my stuff before going back to check for other notifications. This observation has been responsible for a lot of my recent notifications (:grimacing:)

2 Likes