What's your personal record for # of header notifications?

I think my most was around 170? I had been away for a week with no internet, so that could explain it :)
My most on an average day was probably about 70.

1 Like

I had almost 800 notifications one morning when I logged on, so if I didn’t respond to someone’s comment that day sorry! :)

3 Likes

I think my record rate was 100 in the span of maybe 8 hours, and I go through updates (at least) daily. I’m rather frequently in the 40-60 range (not counting any notifications by Gerald, the apparent new site mascot with the identity crisis). I try to respond to (or at least verify) most, though I know I’ve had a few slip through the cracks (@-mentions that I’ve incidentally stumbled upon most of a year later - oops!).

3 Likes

130 ish (that I can remember). Have “lost” large numbers many times.

2 Likes

About 300, after a week without iNaturalist.

2 Likes

Just a reminder to anyone wanting to delve into a broader suggestion-based discussion about notifications that falls outside of this particular conversation:

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/notifications-on-inaturalist-please-share-your-ideas/374/53

I think I haven’t personally broken 100 on my red bubble of joy drop-down but I think that’s more reflective of my compulsive checking rather than my activity :) I still have a small number of obs and IDs for others so I aspire to have an impossible number to check on! I also use the app trick to clear my stuff before going back to check for other notifications. This observation has been responsible for a lot of my recent notifications (:grimacing:)

2 Likes

Ohhhhhh, this is Gerald. 197 observation fields is probably a site record (the notifications for the OP—yikes!), beating a record perhaps previously held by https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/2. I will not subscribe to Gerald but may occasionally check in… clearly a lot happened since I’d looked about 3 months ago, particularly the name.

2 Likes

LOL. Gerald, The world’s first beav-chuck-rat ssp. zibethicus

I think its a eleph-rhino

3 Likes

I now stand corrected, my record is now 455 as of today, and that’s with going through a decent number, particularly @-mentions (mostly based on a couple of recent endeavors). On that note, I’d actually be interested in being able to find statistics for “number of notifications received per day” and “number of notifications cleared per day”.

I’ve recently been going through a ton of scoliid data from the Americas (a few months ago, we updated our taxonomy for Campsomerinae / Campsomerini to better reflect the split of Campsomeris sensu lato into a plethora of genera). We also now have some more appropriate common names added, so I feel like I should give an aside to check these out.

I’ve also been visiting the “ID purgatory” of Vespoidea to work on pushing as many of these as possible into the correct family (especially as for some reason old Vespoidea IDs tended to cover almost all of Hymenoptera). So I’ll give a bit of a note to check through any notifications from me on observations from the past day or two as some observations ended up being kicked up to Aculeata and even Apocrita. Regrettably, though, I was unable to find my target species (Liosphex varius).

2 Likes

I regret looking at this thread and I didn’t even read it all! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I check iNat so regularly that I don’t think I’ve ever had more than 20, although I know someone who has over 25,000 cause they never check them.

6 Likes

That’s a lot!!!

I check iNat multiple times per day, but I get between 100-200 notifications over a regular 24 hour period and I’ve had over 350 once or twice.

Identifying Unknowns: the gift that keeps giving back :joy:

15 Likes

overnight. whoops.

6 Likes

whoa! a little while ago I had 257 when someone confirmed every single observation of the day from the last year, many of which I have faved.

2 Likes

Just to be clear, if I want to see more than the normal 10, it’s possible to click on the number beside the ‘bubble of joy’? I had 17 this morning (!!!) which is a lot for me and I only saw 10.

Did you know the app will only display 200 notifications max? ha

For a long time, I didn’t understand that number. It kept going up. I was keeping up with the notifications on my dashboard, but I never reset that number. Weeks went by. It was over 9,000 when I finally figured out that I was supposed to do something about it. I figured out how to make it decrease by clicking on it, going to the bottom of a list, and clicking on “view your dashboard,” but could only do that 200 at a time. Getting it to zero took a while. That doesn’t really count, though. In a day? Not often over 100.

5 Likes

That definitely counts! This is exactly the kind of insightful stories I hoped people might share about how they interact with header notifications :-) Thank you @sedgequeen!

4 Likes

My personal highest was about 65 (I didn’t get an exact count) and that was because @sedgequeen had decided to go through all my observations and identify as many of them as she could. I had confirming ID notifications turned off, or it would probably have been much higher.

1 Like