When a file fails on upload, please include the file name in error image

This happens when uploading audio with high-quality (i.e. large) files. Every so often they’re too large and the upload will fail. When this happens, there is just a large x in a red circle, but no other information. If I’m uploading just one file, this isn’t a big deal. But if I’m uploading a bunch of recordings from one session, it’s a big bother to figure out which ones failed.

Just to clarify, you’re talking about https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/upload, right? Not one of the mobile apps?

Since it’s audio files they referenced, I assume so, and updated the topic to reflect web. Same issue with very large image files.

Yes! I apologize for the delay. I didn’t notice the notification you responded. As bouteloua said, it’s a large file issue. It’s very easy to hit the limit when recording high-quality audio and I will have to split my files up into multiple smaller files.

Sorry for the mixup!

I’m pretty sure I implemented some changes on this front. When you try to add a file that’s over 20 MB or not in a format we recognize it should show you a popup. I’m pretty sure I also made it so the filename still shows even if you get past that and still get the red exclamation point, but if anyone has a file that proves otherwise, please pass it along.

It’s fixed! You’re right. I didn’t realize how old the post was!

1 Like