Add filter panel to taxon pages

I find the taxon pages very useful and the Phenology graphs (Flowering, Fruiting, In Bud) excellent. The current filter is by country which is great for abundant wild observations, but (because of the hidden verified/research grade filter operating) is very limiting for rare species and fails for species only in cultivation.

So for the Threatened Metrosideros bartlettii (https://inaturalist.nz/taxa/403877-Metrosideros-bartlettii) there are only 6 records from the wild, and no phenology data.

From the taxon page, we can’t see that this species is in cultivation and that there is good phenology data available across 48 obs. And we can’t display this phenology on the taxon page.

Much worse, for things in cultivation/captivity only, we are told on the taxon page that there are no observations, which is quite misleading and you have to do a major rummage from there to discover those obs.

This would all be solved if the filter panel (used on the obs pages) was also on the taxon pages.

@loarie @bouteloua @kueda I was talking about this with Murray today, and the example he gives with the taxa above is an interesting situation. Because this plant is extremely rare in the wild, there is not a lot of observations, and certainly none with phenology data associated. Consequently the phenology tab does not appear at all on the taxa page. As Murray points out, there is a good deal of phenology data associated with cultivated observations, and while there might be some differences in that data between captive and wild populations for some species, there is considerable value in being able to view the captive phenology data and graphs, and perhaps even in being able to toggle between cultivated and wild to view the differences

Is it possible to get a filter/toggle on this page that can bring in cultivated phenology into the analysis data? To toggle between showing [ Wild | Cultivated | All ] ?

I think this feature request came not long after CNC, and we were all pretty busy around that time! It may have escaped the attention of most of us…

3 Likes