Adding useful ID info to taxon pages

I really like the idea of collecting especially useful ID information on taxon pages, mentioned in the post iNaturalist 2019 Team Retreat Follow-Up:

Investigate ways to capture comments and ID remarks that are useful for making identifications and including them on the taxon page and in identification tools.

I’m starting this thread as a place for people to discuss this feature. Here couple few thoughts & leading questions - interested to hear other people’s thoughts:

How broad do we want this information to be, and how should it be curated?
I think it would be easy for this to get out of control, and that this information should be curated so that it captures/links to information that is particularly valuable, but everyone will have different opinions on what meets that threshold. Some general guidelines might be useful. For example: information that might not be included in a field guide or key [e.g., out-of-season ID tips, regional info, …], especially good diagnostic photos/illustrations, thorough side-by-side comparisons of easy-to-confuse species, etc. This is also related to the following question.

(How) do we want to incorporate information from outside sources?
Tony’s post specifically mentions “comments and ID remarks,” and I think journal posts are an obvious extension. What about external sources? Are we moving towards including more of the sort of information you might find in a key or field guide? Do we want to link to keys that are available online (e.g., FNA)? If so, how much de we need to consider taxonomic differences between iNat & linked references? What about something like a non-iNat blog post with really good comparison photos of similar species?

Note: some of these questions may have already been discussed/decided - see this thread as well for more discussion (thanks to @bouteloua for the tip).

How do we make this information discoverable?
If someone is choosing an ID for a taxon that has good additional info on the taxon page, should the system pop up a suggestion with the information? With a link to the information? Only if the user has certain functionality turned on? Only if identified at a higher taxonomic level? How should this work with the computer vision/auto-id-suggest system? I’m interested in how this information might be incorporated into “identification tools,” not just taxon pages.

In the short term, I think adding More Info links to taxon pages is a reasonable workaround/good way to get started collecting this information (thanks for the tip, @tonyrebelo). I’m trying to get in the habit of adding these when I find particularly good information on species that are difficult or often confused. For often-confused species (e.g., Platanthera psycodes & Platanthera grandiflora), I add the same link to multiple taxon pages - this makes the information easier to find, but is a bit repetitive & time-consuming on my end. The option provided to have descendant taxa inherit a link could be useful in some cases, but I’ve found myself most often working with a few species in a genus, so doing it once at the genus level and having descendant species inherit would save me some time but would result in irrelevant links for many of the species. I think it would be very helpful if I could create the link once and have an option to select other taxa to have the link added to. As an example, I’d like to create a More Info link to this page for the four species of Erythronium disambiguated therein, but doing this individually on four taxon pages is a bit of a pain. If we’re moving towards a new system then it probably isn’t worth adding this functionality as a stopgap, but being able to link multiple individual taxa to the same information does seem like a useful feature.

3 Likes

Photo taking recommendations by taxon?

Maybe i’m overly cynical in terms of use but i am having a hard time imagining this getting out of control unless it ends up being dragged into taxonomy arguments and such. My thinking is it can be pretty free form as long as it’s on topic and there’s no uncivil behavior.

2 Likes

@charlie, that may have been overly pessimistic on my part. I think the iNat community can be trusted with nice things, for the most part, so perhaps I should have moderated my language. : )

1 Like

oh that’s not a problem. I just worry it will be so limited that it basically has little use, if we try to start out with it too tightly controlled. Maybe i’m off.

I just imagined a place for notes and links and maybe photos from observations and such

1 Like

Can we not request an option to have links (optionally?) “inherited by children taxa”. So a link to a key to the species in a genus, posted on the genus page, will be shown in the species pages as well?

0 Likes

I believe that option already exists. When using the Add Link function on the About tab of a Taxon page, you can select any taxon (not necessarily the one you were on), and there is a checkbox to “Show for descendent taxa”. Recently tried it for a link I added and seemed to work as expected.

0 Likes

Yes, my problem was wanting to add links to only a few species in a genus rather than everything in the genus, or add the same link to unrelated species that are often confused.

0 Likes