Akimiski Island is in the wrong province; Lancaster Sound obs show up as Unknown location

When reviewing observations of polar bears recently (mine and those of others) I noticed a couple of issues: 1. For Akimiski Island in James Bay, observations are indicated as Kenora District, Ontario. Akimiski Island is in Nunavut.
2. Some of my observations of polar bears on sea ice in Lancaster Sound show as 'Unknown’for location. These are known locations, within a few kilometers so should give the region in Nunavut. Doesn’t seem to be degrading of location because polar bears are Vulnerable as other locations show as ‘Bylot Island’, for example.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

#1 is a known issue with the map source used by the site (the same issue exists with the islands on the east side of James or Hudson Bay, they are incorrectly assigned into Quebec), it has previously been sent to the iNat site admins to hopefully resolve…

#2 is due to the fact the locations used by the maps do not include territorial waters. So water between any islands in the Arctic archipelago wont be known to be in Canada.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation!

1 Like