In my android mobile app one observation remains in a sync loop. It all the time says preparing, syncing, clearing. I dont know which observation gets stuck…
I read about uninstalling and reinstalling the app but I wonder if this is possible without loosing data/observations on my mobile app?
I can upload new observations but the app is extremely slow, maybe because it is busy all the time.
Anyone an idea what I can do?
Hello! Sorry to hear about your troubles with the app. Can you fill out the missing sections of the bug report? As well sending a log file to firstname.lastname@example.org is often helpful. There are instructions for both here: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/about-the-bug-reports-category-please-read-before-posting/60
Signing out of the app or should clear this error, but you will lose any observations that have not been synced.
If you can please try to sync one more time and, if that fails, send us log files from the app, that would be great. To send log files, go to the Settings tab in the app and tap three times on the version number. You will then have the option to email the log files to us.
As there was only a single observation in the loop, I tried signing out and in again. This solved the problem! Thank you!
@geliz, this has happened to me several times as well. Last time I fixed it by doing what you did. Yesterday it happened to me again, I noticed it happens if you are adding an observation and close the app. This time I knew which observation it was so I deleted it and fixed the issue. Might not always work but a lazier fix if it happens again.