Can't reliably mark cultivated on Android

Platform Android

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): 1.23.13 (502)

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : n/a

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: none available

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):
Sorry, problem intermittent and I haven’t yet found pattern. Here is workflow…

New observation
Take photo or photos or select from photos on camera
Mark cultivated in box on load observation screen
Click checkbox
No error or indication of anything amiss…observation appears cultivated
Immediately after sync, now is not cultivated

Return to observation later on android…not marked cultivated! Try to use dropdown upper right to mark cultivated and close observation – white screen flashes and app returns to landing page.
Click on data quality section…about 80% of time can mark cultivated from there, but, again, when return to observation, sometimes loses cultivated status again. And the other 20% of the time, it won’t let me click anything in that screen at all, even if I am home with a good wi fi connection.

The white screen flash never happens when I am marking other users’ observations as cultivated – only when marking my own.

This issue started about a week ago.

I don’t think it’s related, but I have to clear memory dozens of times a day in order to use app.

I will note an observation ID for the next occurrence. Thanks!


Can you please provide log files when you next notice this? To send log files, go to the About tab in the app and tap three times on the version number. You will then have the option to email the log files to us.

1 Like

I just tried to send the log from the last occurrence, but at 33 Meg with start date of today, my email says it’s too big to send. Do you have another way to share the log?

1 Like

Can you share it via Google Drive or Dropbox or a similar service?

1 Like